sucker fish

mark31

New Fish
Jun 25, 2009
The Netherlands(holland)
just bought a new aquarium yesterday never had one before a small one but we bought 3 sorts of guppy, 2 of each.a siameese fighter red and blue betta and a sucker fish only prob i have is i have no idea what type he is and also i was told to feed him a sort of food but he seems to have no intrest,the food is called sera wels-chips.i know i've only had them 24 hrs but want to make sure i'm not gonna starve the little guy.he seems to be doing fine at the mo.feel free to send me pics of the different types of sucker fish

Jun 21, 2008
Hi Mark, welcome to the tank. First of all, you should read up on cycling a tank. There's a good link in MissFishy's signature. I'm a little confused by your lack of punctuation and capitalization, haha. So, do you have 3 guppies, 1 betta and your "sucker fish"? How big is the tank? Your biggest issue right now is the cycling. If you don't read up on it and do the necessary water changes to keep the ammonia and then nitrite down, you'll probably end up losing some fish. Also, if you have 2 bettas instead of one, that's bad and you should return one. How about instead of us sending you pictures of all the sucker fish we can think of, you post a picture of the one you have? Let us know as you have questions.

mark31

New Fish
Jun 25, 2009
The Netherlands(holland)
thanks

thanks for replying so quick and sorry about the punctuation it's definitly not my strong point.i have a 10 g tank i got 6 guppys of 3 different types only 1 betta i heard they usually attack each other,and also i have the sucker.i'll try to get a photo of him and i'll post it.thanks for the help and tips i'm gonna read up on the info you suggested.

Jun 21, 2008
No problem, I happen to be up, so I often catch late night (where most of us are) posts. Ok, 6 guppys, 1 betta and the mystery fish. Keep an eye on the betta, they will sometimes attack other fish with long, flowing fins, perceiving them as other bettas. The guppies might or might not fall into that category, just depending on your particular betta. So, watch out for fin nipping, flaring etc., and if you see any, you might need to remove the betta. The guppies are also the rabbits of the fish world, and will breed like crazy if you have males and females. So, read up on cycling and keep an eye out for those couple things, and we can help you as you go. If the sucker fish is a pleco, which is the most common kind, he'll probably get too big for your tank. If it's an oto, that's a better size, but they need to be in schools. So, I would start by either asking the store what kind it is, and/or looking up pictures of pl*costomus (it's considered bad luck to write or say the whole name, for some reason), otocinclus, maybe chinese or siamese algae eaters, and possibly corys, which aren't sucker fish but are bottom feeders. It's probably a pleco, which means it will probably get too big for your tank, but let's make sure first.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
heres a link with pics go to liveaquaria.com more than likely they will have a pic of what you have. go to the freshwater fish link and look at the different categories then go from there. if you cant find matching pic find something that is close to it with shape size and color and let us know.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Welcome to the tank Mark, I agree with Designs, you need to first and foremost read up on cycling a tank. If you don't do this, your fish will die within a few weeks. Please take a look at the link in my signature. Your 10g tank is already very stocked. I am guessing your "sucker" fish is likely a common pleco. They grow to be 1 foot + in size and do not belong in 10g fish tanks, not to mention they are very messy fish and will take a toll on your cycling. Please read up on cycling a tank and come back with any questions, welcome!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hey, how big is your fish, what are the markings, what color, is it long, what's the body shape, etc. That sort of stuff is quite helpful to us when we're trying to figure it out, not take wild guesses. I know this sounds rude but I don't mean it to be rude! That info would be helpful until you can get some pics.

mark31

New Fish
Jun 25, 2009
The Netherlands(holland)
here he is

i finally found a photo of the mystery fish. I was looking through the forum and found others posting about dwarf plecos, and as far as i can tell this is him he still seems pretty active and doing ok but curious if he will still get too big. I have been reading everything i can find on cycling the tank and cleaning the tank and feeding rituals and really appreciate everyones input and help.the water is actualy a bit clearer than yesterday.I can't believe how little info they gave me at the shop it really seems that they just see you as a newby and just wanna keep making money outta you,i feel like i should go back and give the guy a slap ,but anyway everything seems to be going well at the mo they're all swimming well using the whole tank not just swimming at the top,nobodys missing a fin and i have'nt seen them gulping for air either they all seem to have a good appetite.I'm feeding them 2 small portions a day instead of one big one.so please let me know if i need anything special for my pleco.i hope i don't start losing them i'm already addicted to watching them. I did it for an hour this morning while drinking my coffee and i couldn't believe how enjoyable it is.

Attachments

mark31

New Fish
Jun 25, 2009
The Netherlands(holland)
Hey, how big is your fish, what are the markings, what color, is it long, what's the body shape, etc. That sort of stuff is quite helpful to us when we're trying to figure it out, not take wild guesses. I know this sounds rude but I don't mean it to be rude! That info would be helpful until you can get some pics.
just thought i'd let you know it will take alot more than that to piss off an irish man so know offence taken i've posted a pic of him so if you have any info on him it will be greatly appreciated

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Does it look exactly like this stock picture? If so, that's a pretty rare fish to find in a pet store, probably expensive too. Google for pictures of a common pleco, it is more than likely it is one of those. In any case, all the advice everyone's been giving on it being way too big for the tank, etc. is true. Please make sure you are aware of what "cycling a tank" means, especially if you have one of these messy fish in there.