Build Wooden Fish tank?

legodt

New Fish
Jun 6, 2009
Hi all.
I have read about building a wooden fish tank to save money from building a all acrylic one.

Instructions: Dan's DIY Practice Aquariums

Has any one ever tried this? I want to make a tank that is shaped in a trapezoid. Would the angles be hard to cut? And does any one recommend a epoxy to seal the wood?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
it don't look bad or anything but just the fact that it's wood makes me say bad idea. if it was me I'd make something like that out of fiberglass. stronger, waterproof, lighter, and u can do almost anything u want with it when it comes to shapes. but when it all comes down to it I'd stick to all glass or acrylic.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Tank looks good but i dont know about wood.
i quess if a was bored and had tons of time on my hands it would be fun but id rather make a tank out of an old tv set or something lol

Smark

Small Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Mn.
These are enclosers for reptiles and birds. Not aquariums. The web site says nothing about fish. Or did I miss it.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
At one point we were planning on building one. The Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation website has a lot about them in the DIY section.

If you're really into building, then it might be a fun project. I think if you're planning a trapezoid shape for a large tank, you'll end up with issues with getting the joints to be strong enough.

In the end, it's cheaper to find a used tank in the size you want, IMO. The tank itself is usually one of the least expensive items in a setup when you include lighting, filters, etc.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hey looks like a sweet tank!! I always thought it would be cool to take like a vase and put a beta or something in it, not that I'm going to try it soon, but it'd be a cool project if you wanted something easier, and you could definetly do it in a day or so.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
i didnt even have to read ( although im glad i did ) it reminds of the local fairs with the win a fish booth. bring it home in that little horrible plastic container !
then what ? long and tortuose death !
im just a moosh when it comes to my pets ! all of them !
i just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there
and thank you Judy for the link !