Fish being scared to death

Dragonet

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2009
Kingston ON.
I have a 55 gallon cichlid aquarium with 2 Jack Dempsys, 1 Flowerhorn, 1 Red zebra cichlid, and 1 Horseface. This is nothing new to me but everytime I step remotely near the tank my fish freak out and swim into the tank walls and the filter intake. Recently it has been getting worse to the point when I feed them I'm scared they will hurt themselves.

What is wrong and how can I reduce their fear of anything that goes near there aquarium?

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
Well to start...that flowerhorn can't stay there. It's going to get much, much too big for the tank and likely kill everything else off.

Have you tested the water? Can't help much without the water params.

Dragonet

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2009
Kingston ON.
Thanks for the reply.
I did check the water params and they are as they should be.
Ive had the flowerhorn and the jack dempsys for about a year and they used to get along fine but the flowerhorn had gotten bigger than the others which indicates dominence in cichlids.
I think the flowerhorn might be stressing out all my other fish.
Ill see if i can find a new home for him.

Thanks

Liam White

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Honestly I don't have much knowledge of the fish you keep, but do you believe you have enough cover for them? It sounds as though they are feeling exposed. Maybe they need bigger/more caves now that they are larger?

Dragonet

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2009
Kingston ON.
Honestly I don't have much knowledge of the fish you keep, but do you believe you have enough cover for them? It sounds as though they are feeling exposed. Maybe they need bigger/more caves now that they are larger?
I know what you mean and that could be the case but I have 3 hiding places where they can go in and I sometimes can't find them. I just don't understand why they feel so threatened by anything that moves outside their aquarium. Sometimes I can be feeding my marine fish and they will freak out even though I'm 4 feet away.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
my advice is that any cichlid that ges 12 inches long should have 50Gs to itself. Anything more than that is crowding. At worst I will see people with 2-3 oscars in a 50-75G tank. Good thing you're looking for a new home for the flowerhorn, there's going to be war in your tank at some point!

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I was referring to this comment. I had no idea what size your flowerhorn was, but it still applies as it will get that big.
okay well fine, it's 25Gs and for a lone fish, it usually does not make a diff unless the tank is oddly short, prob just means a little more water changes. 75G for one oscar is probably optimal, but there are dozens of fishkeepers on this forum that keep an oscar or 2 in 50-75Gs yes? So then what?

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
okay well fine, it's 25Gs and for a lone fish, it usually does not make a diff unless the tank is oddly short, prob just means a little more water changes. 75G for one oscar is probably optimal, but there are dozens of fishkeepers on this forum that keep an oscar or 2 in 50-75Gs yes? So then what?
So then they're keeping fish in tanks that are too small for the fish.

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
You should remove him because he's going to get too big for the tank and will start getting very aggressive and probably kill everyone else off.

What's the tank decor like? Lots of hiding spaces and cover, or wide open and bare? How long have they all been together?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
OK so aside from oscars and 12 inch fish and tanks, what should I do with my 5 AND A HALF INCH flowerhorn.
Should I remove him? Cause he is the one that freaks out first and then scares everyone else?
Well, if he's the one that seems to be spooking the others by his skittish behavior, I'd take him out just to see if the others calm down. I don't see how it could hurt to experiment, and it might solve the problem.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Well, if he's the one that seems to be spooking the others by his skittish behavior, I'd take him out just to see if the others calm down. I don't see how it could hurt to experiment, and it might solve the problem.
I agree here.

It sounds like a dire situation by what you describe (fish slamming into walls and filter).
Maybe the lfs will take him off your hands.
It would be worth it for you because you're tank will be less hectic, I think.
The fish seem very afraid and probaly won't calm down until the threat is removed.
Good luck.