Build my own in wall fish tank

Jun 24, 2008
Hello there everyone, im new to all this. From ireland and im currently building a house, have always wanted an in wall fish tank Wall Aquariums and wall mounted aquariums plus Tropical Fish Tanks. like this i have allowed the same gap to suit there 35 gallon tank but with delivery to ireland it makes it very expensive, if i bought the acryilc here would i be able to make this myself?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I believe that you probably could. I'm not the handy type, but I have heard of people making their own tanks like this. I'd just suggest being sure to plan out your plumbing and access very carefully because as cool as wall tanks look, they can also be a royal pain in the butt to maintain. Think about how you do water changes and netting out fish etc

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Most of the time when I've seen people do this they make sure they leave space behind the tank, like putting the back of the tank into a closet. This allows full access to the tank behind the wall and to all the equipment and supplies.

charls

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
San Antonio, TX
I can't belive no one said this yet.....Welcome to the Tank! *BOUNCINGS

Yes you could build an acrilic tank and it would save you a bundle. In fact i have pondered wheather or not to build one myself.

I know i said what everyone else said but i really wanted to welcome you to the tank since no one else did.

cm11599ps

Small Fish
Nov 13, 2008
Bayshore Industries - Publicly Traded as WNRC has a great wall mounted aquarium and wall mounted fish tanks for sale from now until Christmas! Easy to install (and you don't have to put a hole in the wall). You get the look of the aquarium like the one you have pictured, plus its a LOT less expensive and so much easier to maintain. You don't have to put the aquarium on a drawer system or have to have access from behind...instead you service it like a regular aquarium.
spam???????????

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
Probably spam.
Welcome to the tank, lol.
I would agree that you need to make sure that you leave yourself space. Figure out the minimum amount of space you think you need and double it, lol. It just always works out that you never have enough space!

widebody2

Medium Fish
Nov 22, 2008
I just finished my in wall 120 gallon. I own a contracting business and this was still a pretty big deal for us....a lot of little issues pop up that you would not think of. Including paying for labor for my guys my total was $2750....that includes everything besides priming and painting the molding and the walls. $700 was labor...

The tank also has a fill line plumbed from my basement and a siphon line that goes out the basement wall.

The total does not include fish but it does include $250 for gravel, rocks, fake plants, and fish tank wood.

The tank looks awesome...easily the coolest project I have ever done in my life.

widebody2

Medium Fish
Nov 22, 2008
The tank is above the center beam of the house...so yes it was on a structural wall. We actually took the wall which was 4.5 - 5 inch thick and pushed it out to be 18 inches thick or so. We basically made another wall the same as the original wall but 18 inches away. Each wall had a window framed into it and then they were connected....with no tank in it it looked just like a bar.

I just thought of a few things that I forgot when I was adding up my totals so overall this project will probably run me approx 3200 before fish.

widebody2

Medium Fish
Nov 22, 2008
I am no fish tank expert but I would stay away from an acrylic tank. I was going to use one for my project but I decided on glass for 2 reasons...#1 this is a permanent part of the house...there is no taking it out to repair scratches, unless you rip the wall apart.

#2 with the acrylics there is less working room on the top of the tank and with an in wall tank you are already limiting your working area.

We ran into a million issues during this build.
1 central vac line and power wire needed to be rerouted around the tank
2 electrical outlet needed to be moved from the original wall to my basement to power the equipment. It was on the side that is now under the tank and would be insde wall
3 Light switches needed to be moved 6 inches lower
4 No matter how perfectly level we made our base the tank was always .5 mm off the base in all areas besides the corners (we ended up using a foam base on top of wood)
5 Glass canopy needed to be completely customized. The framing would not allow it to open
6 Biggest issue was probably that the original wall that we took all of our measurements from was not 100% perfectly straight. No walls are and it normally doesn't matter but when you are trying to make a fish tank perfectly flush with sheetrock it becomes an issue when things are off by 1 mm here and 3 mm there.

We ended up ironing out all issues but it took a lot more thought than most projects

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
That's a very nice build, thank you for sharing it. I don't see any of the filtration system in your photos, did you end up going with an overflow from the top of the tank, or is the bottom of the tank drilled?

And of course, the required question: what will (or do) you have living in it?

widebody2

Medium Fish
Nov 22, 2008
Its an eheim canister filter located inside the wall under the tank. I can access it from the third side of MY wall that is conveniently located in my basement stairwell. I couldn't drill the tank because the glass is tempered.

Right now I have 2 parrots, an oscar, golden sevrum (sp.), geo jupari, 2 crayfish, and have plans for an arowana and red tail cat

Apr 16, 2010
www.bayshoreaquaruim.com

I have been looking for an aquarium and have spent countless hours researching for a reputable company to buy a wall mount aquarium from. Most of the happy wall aquarium owners that I spoke to recommended a company Bayshore Aquarium. Of course I did more research on them by myself. I found out that their aquariums were originally created 15 years ago in Australia (creaters of wall aquariums). That gave me confidence in their quality and the stability of their company. I started to compare their prices to some of the discounters. I was shocked when their website price was lower than Amazon, Overstock & Sam’s Club. I called multiple times with various questions. If they didn’t answer my call, they always returned my calls promptly. I finally got two wall mounted aquariums from their website The Wall Aquarium by Bayshore Aquarium Wall Fish Tanks. When the wall aquariums arrived, I was shocked with everything that they sent me for free. They sent me an automatic feeder, filters, lights, fish net, scrubber, magnetic cleaner & more. After I had the wall aquariums installed, I took a step back and couldn’t believe how much they added to my rooms. They are so much more beautiful up front than from the pictures on their website. I get more compliments from these wall aquariums than from any other art decor I have in my home (I have really expensive taste). Their customer service was top-notch answering all of my questions. They are extremely knowledgeable with everything about fish. The quality of their aquarium was superb. I also LOVED THEIR PRICE with all the free stuff you get.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Although in wall tanks or "Aussie Aquariums" as they are sometimes called, may look cool, they are really limiting. Not only are they ridiculously expensive, but because the surface area of the water is so small, oxygen exchange is limited and the most fish you could ever keep in a 10 gallon wall aquarium would be a betta or some African Dwarf Frogs. Not only that, but wall-mounted tanks can make water changes impossible, especially if the tank is placed too high. Also, depending on how deep the tank is, you couldn't expect to keep any of the larger fish (oscars, goldfish, certain gouramis, etc.)

I get more compliments from these wall aquariums than from any other art decor I have in my home (I have really expensive taste). Their customer service was top-notch answering all of my questions. They are extremely knowledgeable with everything about fish. The quality of their aquarium was superb. I also LOVED THEIR PRICE with all the free stuff you get.
In my opinion, wall tanks are just that: decoration. Unless you plan on maybe keeping a betta, ADFs, or some shrimp, I would steer clear of them. I've seen the 2 gallon Aussie aquariums sell for $100 plus dollars. For $100 dollars, you could get a 30 gallon tank and keep way more fish than you could in a dinky 2 gallon deco art death trap or a small wall mounted aquarium. It would only be worth it if you made the tank a foot or more deep, in my opinion.
You just have to think about what's best for your fish.

Dec 28, 2010
i just created an account so i could see your pictures! im glad i found this site. i purchased my first home a couple months ago, and im thinking of building an in wall tank. seeing this has given me a much better idea on what i would have to do. how do you get in there to feed them and rearrange things?