Good algae eater?

Jun 10, 2008
North carolina
So at my LFS I requested an algae eater and she suggested 2 Chinise algae eaters. Got them home and started researching them...I know i should have done that first I admit. So far they are behaveing themselves, i'm keeping an eye on them. They are still pretty young.
So my question is what really is a good algae eater? Any recomendations? I have Gouramis and Platies.

Bring them back.

I had one and he started chasing my swordtails (similar to platies.)
I'd suggest getting a couple otoclinus'. They are cute, small, and don't bother anyone. I keep two of them with my puffer and he leaves them alone. They kinda "blend in." :)
How large is your tank? And how many of each fish are in there?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Also Siamese Algea eaters are suppose to be good if you find them, and find ones that really are Siamese Algea eaters (i've heard they can be labeled wrong)

I just found two at my LFS i talked them into selling me one the other day cause it was in his plant tank so they kinda weren't for sale but i'm in there a lot so he hooked me up. Seems to be a hard working little guy, between him and the oto they should get some stuff done.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I've always been fond of the bushy nose pleco. they eat any algea and are pretty tame as well as hardy. I have 1 in my 55 gallon cichilid tank and been there for almost 2 years and still going strong.

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
Bring them back.

I had one and he started chasing my swordtails (similar to platies.)
I'd suggest getting a couple otoclinus'. They are cute, small, and don't bother anyone.
Get rid of the Chinese algae eaters, they will eventually develop a taste for the slime coat on your fish, and will harm them eventually.

I'm in agreement with Kissyboots all the way. Oto's are great for algae on plants and stuff, IF.. you have any algae problems, if you don't, get the SMALL BNP like exhumed07 suggested.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
So at my LFS I requested an algae eater and she suggested 2 Chinise algae eaters. Got them home and started researching them...I know i should have done that first I admit. So far they are behaveing themselves, i'm keeping an eye on them. They are still pretty young.
So my question is what really is a good algae eater? Any recomendations? I have Gouramis and Platies.
What size tank is it going into. I usually recommend ottos. At least 4 of them or a bristlenose pleco.

Also a good algae scrubber will do wonders.

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
You need at least 2 because one would be lonily. I read some where one per 10 gallons of water is a good rule. Feed them well also and if the live past a month, you are doing good.

ts808

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2008
I'm in agreement....get rid of the Chinese algae eaters!

I went in to PetSmart and saw these fish called "algae eaters" and wasn't aware that they were Chinese algae eaters. At first, everything was fine, then all of a sudden I began losing fish at the rate of at least two every week for about 6 weeks. Then I'd replace the fish I lost, and find them dead.

I went crazy trying to figure out the source, testing my water, doing water changes, etc....I posted on here and found out that the algae eaters, once they get older, quit eating algae and will kill other fish. I lost count of the number of guppies and platies that they killed over those six weeks.

I took the Chinese algae eaters back to PetSmart, and got 3 Otos instead about 2 weeks ago (I also isolated my Chinese algae eaters for a week).

I haven't had a dead fish now in 3 weeks.