Free Swimming Ich

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I'm guessing I have some free swimming ick in my 5 gallon tank, but I'm not sure. I can't seem to find any description or pictures of what this stage would look like. I even read d3sc3n7's article on ich/ick many times over and couldn't find my answer (GREAT article btw).

Has anyone seen this stage before? When I woke up this morning, and turned on the lights on the 5 gallon, I saw very, very small bubbles of 02 rising from my plants - and I thought, this was cool. But then I saw some of the things I thought were bubbles started switching direction and "swimming" downward. I don't know how else to describe it other than, they seemed to move around in the same manner baby brine shrimp would. These things are about the same size of bbs as well.

The only new fish I've gotten are the dwarf gourami pair - but they went into the 10 gallon, and nothing seems to be going on there. So I figured maybe they came in with the new plants I had just bought. I checked in the 15 gallon, which has some of those plants too, and I saw nothing. (If anything, the only things I saw on the plants in the 5 gallon were snail eggs and what I'm going to assume are cory eggs - more on that later). Maybe it's possible they've just been in their dormant stage for a while?

I stared my fish down for a couple of minutes, and didn't find any signs of ich on them, or anything else. I did find one of my pygmies dead this morning though :(.

When I get home, I'll be dropping in 7.5 watt heater in there to try to bring up the temp to the mid 80s, and I'll also be doing a water change. I wanted to use salt treatment, but with my cories in there, I don't think I should... unless, maybe I use half-dose? Would Coppersafe cause any harm to my cories?

Can anyone think of anything else those little swimming things could be?

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
I thought I had free swimming ich at one point also. I had what looked to be little white dots floating in the water. I did use a dose of coppersafe- it didn't do anything, so I assumed it wasn't ich- especially after reading d3sc3n7's article.

Here's an exert from d3sc3n7's article:
ICH has a 3-Stage life cycle. It can start as a dormant parasite in your tank (stage 1). You wont see it, you will have no clue its there. Once matured, it will become free swimming in the tank (stage 2)...on an endless search for a host...I.E. your poor fish. It's looking for those tasty fish, and it WILL find them! Now is when your fish show the white dots (stage 3).

So I guess the question is How Long Does Stage 2 Last?....

I hope someone else can give some insight... Good Luck with it!

Last edited:

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I think D3 did a thread on Ich. Get the copper safe in ASAP if it's free swimming, now's the time to kill it.
coppersafe won't harm my pygmies? I'm going to get it anyways, in case of a future outbreak, but I may crank up the heat to 85 and see if it dies like that. If they're still there tomorrow morning I'll probably use coppersafe.

Will using coppersafe eliminate the possibility of ever having inverts or snails in that tank?

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
The heater will take at least a few hours to start raising the temp by 1 degree. so in a matter of 12 hours, it would raise it close enough to a temp to hopefully kill any ich, if there's any. When I used to have the heater in there, the temp would start reaching 85/86 during the day, and the pygmies were fine.... I didn't want to risk it, or lower their life span, so I took it out.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I agree with Brian. I wouldn't treat your tank until you can actually see fish with the dots on them. Ich cannot be seen it the free swimming stage as far as I know and it can be any number of things floating around in your tank. Maybe try a water change to see if it clears up at all. Your best off not medicating a tank if it doesn't need it for sure.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
found the link and here is Lotus's Post in that thread and here is the link to the enitre thread
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/disease-forum/51200-what-heck.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabMorte
Ohhh that looks like Ick to me.

"You most definitely will never see ich floating in the water.

It's possibly some kind of precipitate. I wouldn't worry about it too much"

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
i'm going to wait it out and just increase the temperature a bit.

I was looking for all the ich posts I could find, but apparantly ich and ick are too short of keywords lol...

I wish I wouldn't have thrown out that old microscope my uncle gave me when I was like 11.... I'm going to hold up my handless up to those things and see if that gives me enough power for a better description.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
found the link and here is Lotus's Post in that thread and here is the link to the enitre thread
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/disease-forum/51200-what-heck.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabMorte
Ohhh that looks like Ick to me.

"You most definitely will never see ich floating in the water.

It's possibly some kind of precipitate. I wouldn't worry about it too much"

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

I remember this post! what i have doesn't look anything like that though. it's much smaller, and more difficult to see. At least it's good to know it's not ich. That saves me the money from having to buy ich medication.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Whatever those things are, they're still in there, and the temp on the tank is up to 83 w/o the heater, so I won't be adding the heater, I don't want to cook the fish.

I'm going to do a wc in a bit, and i'll probably be doing them every day, or maybe every other day till those things are gone. there seems to be more of them, i don't know if that's just b/c i know they're there and know what to look for.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
For sure it's not ich.

There are hundreds of different kinds of microorganisms that you'll occasionally find in the water. They're almost always nothing to worry about.

Water changes, and watching out for overfeeding should get rid of them.

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
I felt like I had read somewhere too that you can't see ick- but I couldn't remember where, thanks Brian.

Emman, maybe you and I have the same thing. I've had free floating white particles in my water for a month now. Here lately with cycling and doing so many water changes, and cutting back how much I feed, I think the amount of them has decreased. Anyways, they don't seem to have really affected anything. :)

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
The white things you see swimming around your tank are most likely planaria. I have a ton in my tank and they are impossible to get rid of. They are harmless and are actually a nutritious snack for your fish. I have heard of them eating fish eggs but my kribs are always breeding and producing fry so I dont think it will be a problem for you. I would stop with the coppersafe because like I said before nothing kills these things. If you see white things attaching to your fish then it is most likely parasites and I would dose with meds. If your fish seem fine I would just leave them be and let em snack on the little critters.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
yeah. I think the biggest reason I started panicking was because I had one dead pygmy cory in there, and I wasn't sure why. Maybe it didn't adjust to the change when I moved it to this tank. I did a water change last night, but I wan't able to see if those things were still there this morning because I was ridiculously late to class again.

I thought a little more "circulation" in there would keep me from seeing them in there, so I bought a powerhead...... and I didn't see it was rated for a 30 gallon tank, so when I turned it on, the fish went in every which direction, and had to stay in the bottom until I turned it off. I'll probably use that powerhead to rig myself a diffuser for my DIY CO2 system for the 15 gallon.

But for my future reference, if I did have an ich outbreak in any of my tanks, and used coppersafe, I know it would kill any shrimp, snails, etc... Would that make it impossible for me to ever add shrimp to that tank again?