Cold water algy eaters

This is a discussion on Cold water algy eaters within the Goldfish/Coldwater Discussion forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
Is ther such a thing.. i need one for my goldie tank somthing small as its only a 10gal. i ...

Default Cold water algy eaters

Is ther such a thing.. i need one for my goldie tank somthing small as its only a 10gal.

i seem to get a lot of the brown looking algy yes my nitrite levels are fine acording to my test kit.

wht can i do. and b4 anyone suggests a bigger tank i nither have the monew or the room let alone the willpower to talk the wife around

A Hillstream Loach is probably your best bet. You'll need some current in there though.
    - Joe

55 gal: 4 Clown Loaches - Orange-finned Loach -Yellow-finned Shark - Firemouth - 1 lazy Pleco

20H: Firemouth - Oto - Clown Pleco (L104) - Wisteria - Swords - Dwarf Hairgrass - Sunset Hygro

Teenie Weenie Fish PerfectAngel's Avatar

I have a plecostomus (if that's correct) in the tank with my goldfish.... mmmm maybe i shoudln't tell you that.. i didn't knwo they had to be a certain type of algae eater for cold water...

I currently lodge in a house with my Jack Russell pup, Boosh.

As you have a 10GAL - I'd suggest you look up the fish you're planning on getting, mainly because some need quite abit of room! I have always thought a snail was the right way to go... It's up to you. Just PLEASE research the fish first.

PS: A Hillstream loach is a hard little fish to find! Plus - with any Loach, they have their moments of aggression (so i've heard).. and as they need a currant, you'll have to spend abit more to buy an air pump or something for them.. Hmmmm - Perhaps a huge tank cleanout will solve the problem.

go for a snail....

You could get a pleco, but they can get HUGE......

And, I don't think oto's are okay in a goldie tank......

Siamese algae eaters are too agressive....and are tropical....
    Jenn
    55g---In Progress, FOWL
    55g #2---In Progress..FW Community
    25g---1 Socolofi Cichlid, temporarily...this tank is becoming a reef in the next few weeks
    15g---nano-reef
    10g---brackish disaster...it's empty now...
    10g---beerbottle cap storage
    1g---betta (RIP)

I started off six years ago just wanting a freaking goldfish...

Amano shrimp prefer cooler temps as well, and they do an awesome job on algae. I keep CAE, SAE, and Amanos in my unheated tank. Temps get down to about 68 or 70 in the winter and the fish love it.
    Love, Peace, & Soul,...
    Delta
    ________I am the Chosen One_I bring balance to the forum
    Hillstream Loach Planted River Tank ~4.5wpg ODNO DIY CO2
    ________"A Proud Member of the Anti-Ballistic Comment Treaty"
    PS: my school web account got closed down after graduation, so none of my pictures in old threads are accessible until I move them all elsewhere, sorry.

Super Fish

Best fish I found for clearing up algae in a coldwater tank is a garra pingi pingi.
    Like the hillstream loach, they are hard to track down and very territorial - I have two in a four foot tank and one keeps the other in a corner.
    Hillstream loaches are difficult to keep long term. Like many, mine just died on me and didn't seek to put on any weight despite eating all day long.
    I wouldn't keep a pleco in a 20g with a goldfish.
    ......who stole my banner?