Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie - goldfish popping bubbles.....???

This is a discussion on Newbie - goldfish popping bubbles.....??? within the Goldfish/Coldwater Discussion forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
Ok, I am new at keeping fish. I've done a lot of research, and then I got my first goldfish, ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Question Newbie - goldfish blowing bubbles.....???

Ok, I am new at keeping fish. I've done a lot of research, and then I got my first goldfish, a fantail, about 2 weeks ago. She's been doing great, but now she's been doing something kind of odd. At night and in the morning, I'll wake up to hear little soft popping noises from her tank. She won't do it while i'm watching her, but I've been spying on her and she is going up to the top sides of the tank and maybe...blowing bubbles? popping bubbles? spitting out bubbles? I'm not exactly sure. There ARE a bunch of bubbles collecting around the top sides of the water....Is this normal, and does anyone know what she's doing or why? I just want to make sure she isn't sick or anything. THANKS!!!
    Last edited by Ellaeliz; 05-25-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Teenie Weenie Fish

Question Goldfish blowing bubbles...?

I'm new at this, just got my first goldfish about two weeks ago, and she's doing great, except now she's like, blowing bubbles at the top sides of the tank....i think. Is that what she's doing? And why? I just want to make sure its normal and she isn't sick or crazy. lol There are a whole bunch of bubbles collecting around the top sides....and am i going to piss her off when i do the water change in about a day and take away her bubbles??? HELP!

-New goldfish keeper

sounds like shes looking for air.. what do you have her in? a bowl? if so make sure it is large and buy an air pump, they are like $7.00 and then you just buy a tube that will run into the tank or bowl (.95 cents)

How big is this tank you're keeping it in?

a bowl isn't going to fit a goldfish... usualyl people say its either 10 gallons per gold fish or 20 gallons for the first one and 10 gallons for any more... I think the reason why its doing this is cause it needs air like preggoguppo mentioned or either you dont have any surface agitation and the fish feels weird with no water movement

Medium Fish

maybe your goldfish is hungry...?

koi will hang around the surface, esp when ppl are around, in hopes of getting food thrown at them.

ya... most fish hang out at the surface especially angels when they see something go by at the top of the tank

Little Fish

What size tank is she in? Their may not be enough oxygen in the water or there is a water quality issue. What are the readings for ammoina, nitrite, and nitrate. What size and type of filter do you have?
    Jennifer and my 18goldfish, and 1 betta. Tanks: 125g, 55g, 55g, 33g, 20g, 10g (bettas home) and 4 ponds (Keeping golds 15 years)

Little Fish

It is not normal for goldfish to hang out at the top. Usually it is due to poor water quality, too small of a tank (less than 10 gallons) where oxygen is not high (filtration in a goldfish tank should be at the least 8 times per hour), over eating -some fish gulp air to help with digestion -feeding sinking foods reduces this. I would first check the water readings for ammoina, nitrite, and nitrate. Since you have had her only two weeks the tank is cycling and most likely the water quality is poor if you have not been testing often and changing water based on the results. I know in my 125 gallon that is stocked at one fish per 15 gallons I have to change water at 40% weekly or more to keep nitrate at under 20.
    Last edited by goldfish125girl; 05-26-2005 at 08:06 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
    Jennifer and my 18goldfish, and 1 betta. Tanks: 125g, 55g, 55g, 33g, 20g, 10g (bettas home) and 4 ponds (Keeping golds 15 years)

I merged your two threads...really not neccesary to have more than one on the same topic as most members go to "new posts" not the different forums.
    Just me and the critters! 46g bowfront FW tank, cat (Noel), dog (Scotch), dog (Brandy), and horse (Freckles).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast