Molly with suspected dropsy, Please help!

This is a discussion on Molly with suspected dropsy, Please help! within the FreshWater General Discussion forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
Hi ive just noticed my black mollys scales are slightly sticking out under his belly. He hasnt got the big ...

Teenie Weenie Fish blueberry_pye's Avatar

Default Molly with suspected dropsy, Please help!

Hi ive just noticed my black mollys scales are slightly sticking out under his belly. He hasnt got the big bloated dropsy belly yet. So i dont know if this could be a sign hes getting it? Ive added multicure to the whole tank just to be safe i dont want anything spreading to all of them, it just doesnt look normal all the others belly scales arnt slightly raised. On the other hand he still active and is eating well could anything else be causing this or is it sounding like early stages of dropsy? They are already in brackish water so no point using salt to help treat him hmm i dont know?? Unless epsom salts does something different from the instant ocean im using?
    75lt Brackish (20g)
    5mollies (2 males and 3 females)
    3 platies (2 females and 1 male)
    7 Bumblebee gobys
    3 molly fry (in breeding net)
    Malaysian Trumpet Snails
    Plants: Duckweed,Java Fern,Amazon Sword,vallisneria spiralis,Cabomba and others.

My (2yr old) sons 54lt (14g)
    Male Veiltail betta: Buzz lightyear
    6 Peppered Corys
    5 Black Neon Tetras
    Malaysian Trumpet Snails
    Plants: Duckweed,Java Fern,Vallisneria Spiralis,Cabomba and others

Quarintine the sick fish immediately, so that other fish won't get sick.

Tropical Fish Dropsy - Fish Dropsy Symptoms, Causes, and Cure

If it is still eating it could be a mild case of bloat. Quarantine him immediately and feed him some fresh peas. Small pieces of course, but not too many. If you don't see a change within a few hours, chances are it could be the beginning of dropsy. Act fast because dropsy is lethal.
    Just call me RyuKing
    20g
    0 - Red and White Ryukin (Marby) RIP 05/26/2011
    (Speck) RIP 05/26/2011
    10g
    Currently not in use
    1g
    Hospital Tank

I agree quarantine! If it's dropsy there isn't really much you can do. Try the pea thing and see if that helps.

It's the raised scales that usually defines a fish's illness as dropsy rather than bloat. I had a fish once who had dropsy (no doubt in my mind - the scales stuck right out) and I ended up just putting the fish down.
    "We're here to help those that ask for help keep healthy, happy fish" -OC

**Fishless Cycle**
    **Emergency Cycling**

16 gallon: Planted Community Tank

Yeah, I too, doubt it's bloat. We can keep our fingers crossed! Keep up water changes. I swear they do miracles.
    20g semi-planted: neons, harlequins, glowlights, guppies, platies, and a clown pleco 16g planted paludarium: betta imbellis

My blog, if anyone cares http://www.zoeszoo97.blogspot.com <---