how to adjust pH and total alkalinity levels

This is a discussion on how to adjust pH and total alkalinity levels within the FreshWater General Discussion forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
i recently tested my fish tank because it was looking cloudy. the pH level was at about 8.4, i was ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default how to adjust pH and total alkalinity levels

i recently tested my fish tank because it was looking cloudy. the pH level was at about 8.4, i was wondering if anyone had a good way of getting that level down to a neutral measurement. my alkalinity test also came up as high. if you have any ways for me to be able to control this, that'd be great

Best way is not to. If you monkey around with the ph level, you'll end up having sick and dying fish from the inevitable ph swings. It's a touchy thing. Your fish will adapt to the water conditions just fine. What kind of fish do you have? Some types prefer hard, alkaline water.

If this is a relatively new tank and the cloudiness is whitish, congratulations -- your tank is doing just as it should. The cloudiness will clear on its own after a week or a bit longer, and your tank will be much better able to handle the fish waste products than it was before the white cloudiness.

The three things you need to be testing for are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. These are the three factors most essential to keeping fish alive.

If the cloudiness is green, your tank may be receiving too much light, and you may be overfeeding. These factors can contribute to an algae outbreak. Cut the light and do regular partial water changes, and cut back on the feedings. Also, vacuum your substrate well.

If it's a brown cloudiness, your water may just be dirty. Do a good-sized water change and be sure to vacuum the bottom well.

When you do water changes, just be sure to dechlorinate it and match the temp carefully, within two degrees.
    Judy

Down to 3 tanks... from 7!!

29g: 3 goldfish (temporary)... thinking of convicts instead

55g: 12 glowlight tetras, 3 yoyo loaches (planning for another school of tetras, some more yoyo's, and maybe a pair of rams... any suggestions?)

2g: 3 guppies waiting for a bigger home and a few more buddies

Teenie Weenie Fish

i have a dwarf gourami, a couple danios, and a guppy...for now at least

how longs it been since you started the tank?
    If it hasnt cycled yet, do some frequent water changes, and monitor those three important parameters. the danios should be ok, but the guppy and certainly the gourami are in trouble if its still cyling.

Credit goes to Lludu

Teenie Weenie Fish

it's been cycling for about a month now. the guppies both died and one of my danios just died. i don't know what's wrong with it.

I'm sorry
    They will be greatly missed
    I had my alkalinity and pH levels through the roof yesterday so I did an almost 100% (more like 98.7%) water-change and all of my fish are fine.
    Maybe if the levels go up again you can try a really large water-change and putting some more stress-coat in than normal?
    Best of luck!

Thanks Lludu!!

Teenie Weenie Fish

i think i may try a water change, see if i can get it back to good levels. i hope i get my tank back and stable and the remaining fish survive

you could try experimenting with RO/ distilled water in combo with tap water to try and soften your water up. i dont recommend doing this with living fish in the tank tho, cuz it might actually swing your pH to lower levels much faster than needed.

Credit goes to Lludu

Guys, stick to the basics to keep your fish alive... ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate testing.
    Get these under control, and then you can look into the other stuff... I'm telling you, you don't need to worry about the rest of it until you master this most basic fishkeeping skill.
    Judy

Down to 3 tanks... from 7!!

29g: 3 goldfish (temporary)... thinking of convicts instead

55g: 12 glowlight tetras, 3 yoyo loaches (planning for another school of tetras, some more yoyo's, and maybe a pair of rams... any suggestions?)

2g: 3 guppies waiting for a bigger home and a few more buddies

buddha, have you been testing your water with liquid tests, and can confirm if you have finished cycling instead of just saying how long its been cycling for?

Credit goes to Lludu