disappearing snails?

This is a discussion on disappearing snails? within the FreshWater General Discussion forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
okay in the last week or so one of my fish out of my 90 gal has eaten all 3 ...

Unhappy disappearing snails?

okay in the last week or so one of my fish out of my 90 gal has eaten all 3 of my mystery snails ( who where about 1/2 inch) and so i went to the lfs and bought 2 apple snails ( who are like 1 1/4 inch) any way one of them is gone now too. i cant figure out who is eating them and why all of a sudden do they like snails. bc the mystery snails where in there for a while until they where eaten. my gold sev. isn't that big yet he is just starting to show markings on his face and forehead so i would say he is about 3 1/2 inches to 4 inches now. and my blue botia and the pictus cat arent' that big either. i am just stumped on this one. you guys have any ideas who it could be.
    HEATHER
    90 GAL FW COMMUNITY TANK- 1 GOLD SEVERUM, 5 ANGELS, 4 KRIBS (2M & 2F), 6 CORYS, 1 PICTUS CATFISH, 1 BLUE BOTIA
    55 GAL MALAWI CICHLID TANK- 14 COBALTS, 7 HYBRID FRY, 1 BRISTELNOSE PLECO, 1 SPOTTED RAPHAEL CATFISH

My sevs have always picked large snails to death. They even kill the huge baseball sized ones.

wow, well should i keep puting snails in there for him to eat maybe one every week?
    HEATHER
    90 GAL FW COMMUNITY TANK- 1 GOLD SEVERUM, 5 ANGELS, 4 KRIBS (2M & 2F), 6 CORYS, 1 PICTUS CATFISH, 1 BLUE BOTIA
    55 GAL MALAWI CICHLID TANK- 14 COBALTS, 7 HYBRID FRY, 1 BRISTELNOSE PLECO, 1 SPOTTED RAPHAEL CATFISH

dont think it hurt anything
    Working on my planted 75g tank need lots of help
    wish me luck

snails look like dinner for lots of fish. i have just the common ones that came with plants and they breed massivly, i keep them in my fry tank and the fry love them. the larger ones i have had plecs suck their shells clean but then there are the other fish that think snail would make a nice meal.
    2.5g - Planted - various endler fry
    5.5g - Hardscaped/filtering
    5.5g - Planted
    10g - Butters the Crayfish

If your going to start buying snails as fish food, apple snails and mystery snails are probably not the cheapest route. Most places will give you pond snalis or those trumpet snails for free because they are pests.
    10g planted
    ~~~1 dwarf gourami
    ~~~6 white cloud mountain minnows
    ~~~1 otocinclus catfish
    ~~~1 huge gold mystery snail
    10g planted
    ~~~ 6 rosie red minnows
    20g
    ~~~empty for now

Could be the botia too, that type of loach likes to eat snails.
    40g Breeder SW - softie reef started 5/2/13!
    Percula clown, neon blue goby, tailspot blenny, royal gramma

Quote Originally Posted by S-kate
    If your going to start buying snails as fish food, apple snails and mystery snails are probably not the cheapest route. Most places will give you pond snalis or those trumpet snails for free because they are pests.

thanks everyone. i hear ya on the cheapest route. the apple snails where $3 bucks a piece and where only in the tank for 4 days. i think i will ask around about the free snails, bc it seems one or some of the fish love the snails.
    HEATHER