Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Edible Oscars...

This is a discussion on Edible Oscars... within the FreshWater General Discussion forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
So, a few years back I was on a solo spring break in Florida. Come to find out in my ...

Medium Fish

Default Edible Oscars...

So, a few years back I was on a solo spring break in Florida. Come to find out in my travels, Oscars are a game fish down that way. Neat. So I catch a few and eat a meal that'd have cost me $160.00 USD in any pet store.

Today I'm on holiday and catching a lot of red ear sunfish for the grill. Lepomis micropholus, and I think to myself..Ya know, these're pretty fish.

Pity I don't have an extra 55+ lying about...
    Freshwater habitats managed: 7 (4 native)
    Total displacement: 160 gallons
    Number of species: 25, plus snapping turtle
    Biomass in inches (+/-): 180
    Cats in household: 4
    ...& one leopard gecko

No way, thats sweet, but i dont know about eating a fish in an aquairum, more like a trout brook or salmon, mmmmmmmm
    40 Gallon Reef: 80lbs LR, 250w MH, 15+ gal Sump, AquaC Remora, Koriala #2,#3

29 Gallon: My yellow angel (Sonny), 6 neons,7 other tetras and my CAE...ugh. hes huge

Yep, oscars are considered a game fish in Florida. I've heard of stories of people having their oscars die from old age and them grilling it up. I don't see a big deal in it personally, might as well feed some people.

Got any good Oscar recipies to share?
    -Matt
    Check out my YOUTUBE channel for videos of my fish and more! - http://www.youtube.com/user/Clemmatt

Only problem with that is if they've ever had medication it could still be present in their body and poisonous or harmful to us
    Freshwater

70 Litre (Juwel Rekord 70):

• 4 blue rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi)
    • 1 vampire pleco (L007/L029, Leporacanthicus cf. Galaxias)
    • 5 amano shrimp (Caridina japonica)

60 Litre (BiOrb 60):

• 6 silver tip tetras (Hasemania nana)
    • 6 penguin tetras (Thayeria boehlkei)

Medium Fish

Well, I can tell you that Oscar meat isn't anywhere near as fatty as native sunfish (bluegill, red ear, bass, etc). Very light and flaky, easy to scorch if you're not watching your fire. It is especially delicious when blackened, cajun style, or poached then topped with white sauce and capers.

Believe me, it is a bit unusual feeling you get catching a fish on hook and line that you grew up and grew older regarding as a species that was exclusively a pet, and then taking care of the business needed to turn it into a meal. It's sort of like, well, going hunting for poodles instead of antelope and then literally having Fifi for dinner.

Culture shock! That's the term I was looking for!

Anyway, I think my purpose in posting was that red ear look like something I'd be very interested in keeping someday. They reminded me of dwarf rainbows, sans the "dwarf" part. However, I can find no photos to do justice to the beauty of the fish I caught yesterday. None of the internet pics I've found have enough blue or are irridescent enough.
    Last edited by Etheostoma; 05-09-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    Freshwater habitats managed: 7 (4 native)
    Total displacement: 160 gallons
    Number of species: 25, plus snapping turtle
    Biomass in inches (+/-): 180
    Cats in household: 4
    ...& one leopard gecko

well I know over in asia, giant gourami's are considered quite the edible meal. Now personally, I think a tank mixed with some sunfish, and some lake perch would look really pretty. I've ate many of them and always marveled at the colours. Course I also just found out that perch are related to cichlids, never knew that
    Do I got tanks?
    Yup
    Do they got fish in them?
    Yup

And they eat our $50+ discus in the amazon.

A native tank would be cool to have.
    -Matt
    Check out my YOUTUBE channel for videos of my fish and more! - http://www.youtube.com/user/Clemmatt

We had a fishing derby at my work and 8 golden trout were stocked. I told my husband if he got one all the fish in my 125 were going to go and I was going to put that one in. They are just beautiful.
    65g Fresh Water
    3 Cats
    1 Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Cichlid-Man
    And they eat our $50+ discus in the amazon.

here I am...

Fish are fish.

I often wonder if a glass catfish would still be clear after it is cooked. They turn white when they die, but,...

Let me tell you, if push comes to shove, my synodontis euruptus is gonna turn into a bowl of soup. He's HUGE! I had catfish soup in a Vietnamese restaurant a couple months ago and it was pretty good.
    Love, Peace, & Soul,...
    Delta
    ________I am the Chosen One_I bring balance to the forum
    Hillstream Loach Planted River Tank ~4.5wpg ODNO DIY CO2
    ________"A Proud Member of the Anti-Ballistic Comment Treaty"
    PS: my school web account got closed down after graduation, so none of my pictures in old threads are accessible until I move them all elsewhere, sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast