Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mollies, platys, guppies and danios together??

This is a discussion on Mollies, platys, guppies and danios together?? within the FreshWater General Discussion forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
i was thinking, mollies, guppies and platys for my 10 gal to go with my 4 danios, will they all ...

Default Mollies, platys, guppies and danios together??

i was thinking, mollies, guppies and platys for my 10 gal to go with my 4 danios, will they all mix, cant seem to find much about this mix

All of them??? You need a ratio of 1 male for every 2-3 females with livebearers, so you could get 1 of those types but not all 3. You could get more guppies but you'd have a ton of babies in no time because, IMO, they are the easiest to breed. Have you checked out swordtails??? They are really similar to platies but I've seen them in a lot more colors than platies. Platies are normally yellow, orange or red. My brother got some cool pineapple marigold swordtails the other day and they are really colorful.
    Morgan

well, seeing here where i live , theres not much to choose from. so im limited

I think in general, mollies are a bad choice for a 10gal. Unlike other livebearers (guppies, platys) they can get considerably bigger - some species like the sailfin up to 5-6". And mollies do better in a brackish enviroment.
    I would stick with either platys or swordtails, but probably not both if you already have guppies and danios in there.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

I only have four danios in the 10gal, looking for something to fill it . I like the platies and guppies. dunno if danios, platys and guppies will mix. Live Aquaria compatibility chart says yes.

Platys and guppies will get along fine..........I'm not sure about danios, I've never kept them. I think they are a 'busy fish' and may nip at the guppies tails if they are bored.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

i dunno, never had em either, take a look at this, says danios, platys , mollies and guppies are all comp.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/f...lity_chart.cfm

They should all be compatible. I think that mollies and swordtails both get too big for a 10g. You can do platies and/or guppies, but either will stock your tank right up in a hurry unless you get all males. I've got platies and danios in my 10g and they get along well, no nipping or chasing except amongst the danios. You probably want to stick with no more than four more fish in there, so 3-4 platies would work fine.
    40g Breeder SW - softie reef started 5/2/13! Percula clown, neon blue goby, tailspot blenny, royal gramma, pearly jawfish
    20g Long Planted - started 7/2/14! Lone sparkling gourami at the moment

At my lfs we have nice orange platies, big ones too. i want mickey mouse ones but can find them around here, and i want guppies, but not guppy babies, dont know what id do with them all, so yea, prob all males.

Teenie Weenie Fish Urban Herbalist's Avatar

Have you ever thought about putting together a species-only tank? A Guppy tank might be nice. You can trade the fry to the petstore for credit when you get overrun with wee ones. They make a nice breeding experiment as well if you're interested in that sort of thing. You can probably trade-in your Danios and maybe get some nice males to start out with.
    Last edited by Urban Herbalist; 01-08-2006 at 11:20 PM.
    the Urban Herbalist

8G FW Planted Nano Combo

1 Wild Dwarf Gourami
    6 Microrasbora erythromicron
    1 Otocinclus

Micro Sword, Rotala Indica, Glossostigma Elatinoides

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast