Can platties, guppies, and swordtails live single?

This is a discussion on Can platties, guppies, and swordtails live single? within the FreshWater General Discussion forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
I would like to know if platties, guppies, and mollies can live single and be ok. I found out that ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default Can platties, guppies, and swordtails live single?

I would like to know if platties, guppies, and mollies can live single and be ok. I found out that neon tetras need to live in groups. Thanks to anyone that replies.

As far as I know, fish can live single, but that won't mean that they'd be happy about it. I have a single guppy/endler in with about 15 platy fry, and he enjoys himself, but only because he has company. You'd be better off with them in groups though.
    What are you planning on doing?
    5 gallon Eclipse (Hex) Heavily Planted: Half-moon Betta, 5 Cardinal Tetra, 4 Harlequin Rasbora, 4 Pygmy Cory, Clown Pleco
    2.5 gallon: Orange Male Betta

90 gallon and 20 gallon Zebra tank are in my dad's care!
    20 gallon: 2 Female Zebra Pleco, 5 Amano Shrimp
    90 gallon: Rainbow fish, Serpae Tetras, BN Plecos, lots o' Guppies, 3 Syno cats, etc...

Teenie Weenie Fish swordtailraiser's Avatar

swordtails and guppies and live single but are happier with at least 2 of a kind.
    29 gallon
    - 7 swordtails
    - 1 double-tailed swordtail
    - 2 cories
    - 1 otto
    - 1 pleco
    - 2 gold wonder fish(i think that's what they r
    called)

37 gallon tank:
    - 5 bloodfin tetras
    - 1 silver neon
    - 2 blue paradice gouramis
    - 1 algae eater
    - 1 pleco
    - 2 double-tailed swordtails

Teenie Weenie Fish swordtailraiser's Avatar

mollies i suggest putting at least 2 together.
    29 gallon
    - 7 swordtails
    - 1 double-tailed swordtail
    - 2 cories
    - 1 otto
    - 1 pleco
    - 2 gold wonder fish(i think that's what they r
    called)

37 gallon tank:
    - 5 bloodfin tetras
    - 1 silver neon
    - 2 blue paradice gouramis
    - 1 algae eater
    - 1 pleco
    - 2 double-tailed swordtails

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default To PlecoCollector

I was planning to keep three or four different fish. One guppy, one platty, one swordtail, and I forgot to ask the same question about sunset variatus. I had a neon tetra and it may have died of loneliness. They do best in at least six. If anyone else knows about sunset variatus I would like to hear from them too.

If you have the option of keeping a few fish, it'd be better for them to be in a group of one type and you would find it more pleasing to the eye in the long run as well. How large a tank are we talking about? Swords require larger tanks than guppies and platies. Variatus are a type of platy.
    Tanks everywhere, a well-stocked garden pond outside and a Horde of Flatcoated Retrievers

I only have a 4.4 gallon with a red swordtail fish (male). I'm planning to get another male swordtail. Considering the tank space, what other species could I, or should I put in?

IMO that tank really isn't big enough for more than those two swordtails.
    Just me and the critters! 55g FW tank, cat (Noel), dog (Scotch), and horse (Freckles)

I have a bachelor Guppy cause he killed the females that I had wil him (3)
    29g Cube - Planted - Heterandria formosa, Lucania goodei & Otocinclus vestitus