Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can you mix neon tetras with cardinal tetras?

This is a discussion on can you mix neon tetras with cardinal tetras? within the FreshWater General Discussion forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
my darf gourami died today, i was sad, but yet kinda happy since he was very mean, and my 4 ...

Question can you mix neon tetras with cardinal tetras?

my darf gourami died today, i was sad, but yet kinda happy since he was very mean, and my 4 month old guppys can finally be free in the tank since he was the only fish i was worryed about attacking my guppy fry.. ANYWAYS... i want to get a school of tetras, if i get about 3 neon tetras and 3 cardinal, will all 6 school together? or will the do there own thing?
    Planted 55 gallon 3 cory catfish, parrot fish, knife fish, 2 angels, and an apple snail

I've seen Neon tetra's and Cardinal tetra's school together, i used to have a bunch, so i would say the probably will, but i'am not garenteeing they will all school, but i would think so!
    I have a 38 Gallon Cichlid Tank, fish include:
    1 Lemon Yellow Lab, 1 Kenyi Cichlid, 1 Johanni Cichlid(Electric Blue), 1 Rusty Cichlid, 1 Red Zebra, and 1 Red-tail Shark

They most likelily will but it depends on the fishes indiviual personalitys
    29gal
    10gal
    +5gal
    TOO MUCH!

you can mix them....
    -Matt

id say that maybe they will mix but most prob stay in threes of each kind

Most schooling fish school with other fish that look similar to them...OK I didn't mean that to sound like I was pointing out the obvious. What I meant was that fish that are similar, like my ember tetras and my harlequin rasboras always used to school together even though they're vastly different in size...they're still the same body shape and a lot of the same color. I think cardinals and neons would school together.

Sorry to hear about the gourami by the way
    Just me and the critters! 55g FW tank, cat (Noel), dog (Scotch), and horse (Freckles)

You can mix them but the visual effect can be a bit distracting because they're so alike yet definitely different. I prefer one or the other just for that reason.
    Tanks everywhere, a well-stocked garden pond outside and a Horde of Flatcoated Retrievers

I've read that once tetras are comfortable in your tank they stop schooling so much. Just something to keep in mind.

I have 3 different types of danios (zebras, long-finned blue, purple passion) and they all school together even tho they all look completely different.
    with photoshop you really don't need to actually paint your cat...

Yes.
    I had neons that schooled with cardinals. I also had loaches that schooled with tiger barbs.

Rohn
    UFOlogy: Science of UFOs

75 gallon Marine 40 gallon Pentagon Freshwater
    Sun Conure Parrot Cockatiel
    Poppy Spike

i have 12 neons and 6 cardinals and they school together in my 40g (cause my angels chase them around ) tank now after i moved them but SANND is right, once they get comfortable they dont school

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast