Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

com pleco dead? after water change

This is a discussion on com pleco dead? after water change within the FreshWater General Discussion forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
Hey anybody know what may have caused the death of my pleco after a water change? The tank has been ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default com pleco dead? after water change

Hey anybody know what may have caused the death of my pleco after a water change? The tank has been set up for months now he was about 3-5 inches. changed the water two hours later he was dead, no other fish have died since, any help would be great.

did you feed your pleco,or did you just let it eat the algae in the tank?also your tank's size,filters,other fish ect.... would help.
    I still love catfish!

Teenie Weenie Fish

I had it in a 29g growin it out to be in my 55g, it is with a rubber lip pleco and barbs and cory's, They have all been in there for a long time. I have feed the pleco's alge wafers every other day or so, and I have a cheap regent 60 gallon filter on it. the flter works great, the pleco was on the glass for a while before I found it dead. I hope this helps. Thanks

Well, if you remembered to dechlorinate the water and the water you added was of a similar temp to the tank water, I can't see how a waterchange would kill him. How often do you generally change the water?

It could just be one of those mysterious fish deaths.
    Lotus and Ecotank's tanks

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Teenie Weenie Fish

I change it weekly about 1-3 gallons same temp and always dechlorinate the water, this is the third com pleco that I have had die.

What size tank is it? What are the other inhabitants?

well - someones gotta say it............. (Purple looks at Mikes sig line)

apart from algae wafers - what else did you feed it ?
    Purple
    Beware of the fish ....
    Vote for the Tank!

I bet he just got tired of looking at you. Or maybe the wife is killing of your fish one at a time to get back at you for spending $100 on a "stupid filter that you didnt need"

Lev
    10 Gallon- 3 zebra danios, 1 inch baby convict, 1 bristle nose
    10 Gallon- 12 convict fry
    20 Gallon- 3 Iodotropheus sprengerae

Keeping fish for over 1000 years

Teenie Weenie Fish

levia7han I tell you what, Mr filtration you made me buy it. PUrple That is all I feed my alge eaters is wafers. Lotus tank size again is 30 with barb's and cory's.

Levia7han don't have wife cuz he slit her with a fishy knife.

Well, one point is that 1 - 3 gallons isn't really much of a water change on a 29 or 30g tank (sorry, I didn't read the second post thouroughly). You should do a minimum of 3 gallons, probably 5 or 10 would be better. Have you tested your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast