Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What fish to put with Tiger Barbs

This is a discussion on What fish to put with Tiger Barbs within the FreshWater General Discussion forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
I have a 30 gallon tank with six baby Tiger Barbs. What other fish would go with them? Probably other ...

TLG

Default What fish to put with Tiger Barbs

I have a 30 gallon tank with six baby Tiger Barbs. What other fish would go with them? Probably other Barbs would. Would Catfish? Loaches?Chiclids? I want some fiesty fish in this tank as my other tanks have Tetras and Guppies.Does anyone have Barbs and what other fish do you have with them?Thanks!
    Three 10 gallon tanks,one 15 gallon tank,one 30 gallon tank: One male Fancy Guppy,four pregnant Guppies, four Neon Tetras, four Glow Tetras,One glow Tetra fry!Two Silver Tipped Tetras, lots of snails.
    Four Pygmy Catfish, and
    about 100 Guppy fry,100-150 Giant Danio Fry.
    Nine Tiger Barbs,three Giant Danios with a Siamese Algae Eater and two crabs.

Cichlids - no.

really anything not to aggressive and nothing with long fins.

Rosaboras maybe? any other kind of tetra with shorter fins.
    -Matt
    Check out my YOUTUBE channel for videos of my fish and more! - http://www.youtube.com/user/Clemmatt

I've got three barbs in my 10 gal - too few, I know, but its too crowded to add more. Anyway, they get along just fine with my 8 cories. They pretty much ignore the cories altogether. Also, I noticed that the barbs are constantly hungry, and don't mind eating pellets that drop to the bottom of the tank. They steal them away from the cories. Pigs

Other cats should get along well with tigers. Plecos too. When is a school as large as 6, the tigers shouldn't give the other fish in the tank as much of a hard time, as they'll be busy nipping each other rather than the other fish.

Longfinned fish, as cichlid-man said, don't belong with tigers, cause tigers love to nip. Gouramies and angel fish aren't reccomended to put in with barbs. Or veilfinned varieties of tetras.
    2 gallon hex - crowntail betta "Liam"
    30 gal - 2 boesemani, 1 turquiose rainbow, 2 mixed rainbows, 4 celebes rainbows, 2 pristellas, 4 gold tetra, pearl gourami, gold nugget plec, 3 cories

Little Fish

Basically I agree with what everybody else has said. Tiger barbs will not bother catfish or loaches, but like angel said, they will compete for food. However, you can keep regular gouramis (blue, pearl, etc) with them, but I don't recommend the dwarfs. The regular gouramis are agressive enough to stand their own ground.

In a 30 gal you can keep mollies & platies with them, tetras like neons and head and tail light, danios, and hatchetfish. I suggest you make it a barb tank. Add some rosy barbs or cherry barbs, or you could also do green or albino tiger barbs.

Oh, green barbs are such prettyful fish, but I can never find any. I think NY's in a green barb defecit currently. I'm so jelous of places where they are common. Actually, I was at Ukraine this summer, and in the fish stores, they'd have tanks full of them. So jelous. :P A barb tank is a pretty neat idea though, for a 30 gallon.
    2 gallon hex - crowntail betta "Liam"
    30 gal - 2 boesemani, 1 turquiose rainbow, 2 mixed rainbows, 4 celebes rainbows, 2 pristellas, 4 gold tetra, pearl gourami, gold nugget plec, 3 cories

I have
    5 green tiger barbs
    5 tiger barbs
    2 paradise gourami's (had to specifically request them)
    1 Pictus catfish
    1 rainbow shark
    1 Sunset Platty
    1 Guppy
    and 1 Betta everyone gets along just fine

I'm thinking I may add a couple more tiger barbs, and probably a couple more guppies and platies since those fish are shoaling fish, they need some buddies
    ------------------------------------------------
    1 50 Gal freshwater
    2 Green Tiger Barbs
    12 Tiger Barbs
    2 Paradise Gouramis
    1 Albino Rainbow shark
    1 Chinease algea eater
    6 Clown Loaches
    2 Lemon Chiclids
    1 Electric Blue Chiclid

1 55 Gal Saltwater
    2 Clarkii Clownfish
    1 Neon Dottyback
    1 Cleaner Shrimp
    1 Flame Angelfish (very cool)
    1 Royal Gramma (although the Dottyback appears to be mistaking him for a bicolor dottyback and attacking him)
    1 Copperband butterfly
    50 Snails
    50 blue legged crabs
    Coming soon
    1 Blonde Naso Tang

this will be turning into a 75 gal Coral Reef tank VERY soon
    1 55 Gal Freshwater
    1 Betta
    3 Otto Cats
    6 sunset Plattys
    3 Pictus Catfish
    1 Guppy
    2 Angels
    1 Plecostomus
    just a few more Guppies to finsih it off... and of course more plants

How small are the "baby" TBs? I got about a doz albino TBs that were about as long as this --- . They have about doubled in size, but 3 died. I'm not sure that fish should be sold at the size these were - how would that be decided? I'm sure it's different for each species, but how small is too small?
    Sophisticated, Seductive, Complex and Full Bodied... the wine's not bad either.

Teenie Weenie Fish

I am also looking for some tank mates for 6 Tigers in my 20 gallon. I had some zebra danios and a dojo with them but moved them to another tank. So I was thinking a rainbow shark and some gouramis, not sure how many or what type. I was leaning to getting either three opaline gouramis or just one paradise fish. If I go 6 tigers, a paradise fish and a rainbow shark I should be OK, right? Could I also try a few harlequin rasboras too or would that be too many fish, which I think it might be. If I do go with the rainbow should I go with a regular or an albino? I have a fake piece of driftwood which will make a perfect home for the shark.

Cories get along with tiger barbs very well also cories are a good bottom feeder. Like keepingthebeat said rosey barbs and cherry barbs go good with them too, Ive had both.
    20g tall - 5 giant danios, 4 albino cories
    20g tall - 3 tiger barbs, 2 blackskirt tetra, 1 tetra, 2 pepper cories

I have 4 albino TBs and they don't bother my loach at all. Larger gouramis and cherry barbs have similar temperaments and will give it back. Danios and rasboras I think would be ok since they are fast swimmers.
    10g * betta, 2 apple snails
    20g planted * 3 cherry barbs, 4 albino tiger barbs, 1 zebra loach, 2 ottos, 1 opaline gourami

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast