how full to fill tank

This is a discussion on how full to fill tank within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
Help, please! I bought my first ever new tank last night, for my 3 kids. How close to the top ...

Question how full to fill tank

Help, please! I bought my first ever new tank last night, for my 3 kids. How close to the top should I fill the water? It is a 20 gallon tank with a Penguin 125 Bio Wheel filter. The water either sounds noisier than I expect when it falls into the tank (plop... plop) or it splashes the back of the lighting fixture. I am afraid to have it too full or too empty.

Thanks for the help for this newbie!

John

Leave about the frist 1/2 inch from the top empty. Some people leave more, some leave less. For your filter I'd say just start out with the 1/2 inch, and play with it from there to see what works best for you.

I fill my biowheeled tanks up to the bottom of the filter outlet, but as paul said...its kinda up to you

Kevin
    "Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. "
    - Thomas Jefferson

"In criticizing, the teacher is hoping to teach. That's all."
    - Bankei

A Website Dedicated To My 90g Reef!

YUP, its up to you. Maybe you like the running water sound, thats fine, but WILL leave mineral deposits on the light and top of the tank where there is not water.

I personally fill it up past the black ledge where the top of the water is not visible. This is at about the outlet to the bio-wheel filter system. Makes no sound, but still nicely agitates the water for maximum oxygen.

You can't really overfill a tank until it spills over the edges. Mine is to the point that if i stick my arm in to move a plant or rock or something, some waters comes over the edge....

Up to you, but that tricklign water and white deposits get annoying so i'd go just above the black strip at the top. It also looks better, IMO, when viewing the tank, if the top of the water line is invisible.
    <b>10g, Silk Planted:</b>2 Serpae Tetra, 1 Dwarf Gourami (Bright orange, blue fins), 2 Cory
    <b>2.5g:</b>1 Betta with some plants and driftwood. Oh so happy!

Thanks, folks! That was basically what I remembered from my childhood. I just wanted to make sure that I would get enough air yet minimize the plopping and splashing. I have got the splashing to stop, I guess we'll have to learn t live with the plopping.