Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Foam on the Top

This is a discussion on Foam on the Top within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
I have a 55 gallon tank with a number of fish. *I have an undergravel filter system and two power ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Post Foam on the Top

I have a 55 gallon tank with a number of fish. *I have an undergravel filter system and two power filters on each side to clean up the tank. *My tank has been running ok for a number of months until now. *I am starting to get a white foam on the top of the water. *The light is even having a hard time getting through. *It the foam sits to long it turns brown and gets on everything on top of the tank. *I've narrowed it down to two things I think.

I have reciently been adding aquarium salt to help a possibly sick catfish. *Also I used to use spring water, and have switched to tap water. *I have been adding a conditioner to the water... I think its called aquaclear. *Now even a small bubbler in the tank with the power heads turned off, create this foam on top and I can't get rid of it. *Please help.

Post Re: Foam on the Top

First, I wouldn't add salt to help a catfish, most catfish are salt intolerant.

The foam could be caused by lots of things. It sounds like an organic foam because it turns brown. I would reccomend testing your water for everything you can (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, everything...).

Did this happen when you were using the bottled water?

Josh

I may very well be mistaken, but isn't bottled spring water inherently very hard?  I've never experienced foamy water, other than with my old saltwater tank, so perhaps it is the salt.  And, yes, catfish are sodium intolerant, as are loaches, and both are also intolerant of most ich treatments.

Perhaps the salt in conjunction with the tapwater treatment is causing the foam.  What happens if you scoop the foam out?  Does it come back quickly?
    --Zombie... er... Fish Monger
    Unpleasant Street
    "Because Mad Science is the best kind of science"
    Halloween Yard Haunt and Info Site

I had the same problem and it was because my ammonia got real high and killed alot of my neons.
    "I like your style, Fry - you remind me of a young me, not much younger mind you, perhaps even a couple years older."

Teenie Weenie Fish

Nope, I never had a problem when I had the spring water.  The spring water was the best.  I was told that the salt would possible help the catfish.  I think one of the other fish, a Pachu bit the cat and it looks with it had some sort of growth.  Its is looking better, but still get the foam.  Not sure if its a combination of the salt or the water condition...

Salt won't cause the foam, neither will the conditioner. It would really be a good idea to test your water for the things mentioned above.

BTW, a pacu is gonna get real big for a 55.

Josh

discusaquarium

tiny bubbles on the top of the water are a sign of high ammonia. i would reccomend checking and taking the neccesery actions.

I didn't even think of Ammonia as teh problem.  I'd never experienced a problem with it, but now I know what to look out for should I get lazy with my regular testing. 8)
    --Zombie... er... Fish Monger
    Unpleasant Street
    "Because Mad Science is the best kind of science"
    Halloween Yard Haunt and Info Site

Teenie Weenie Fish

Yup, tested last night, high Nitride and Amoninia. *I need to do a clean the tank and do a drain on some of it. *My problem is that I think I have too much fish in too little a tank. *I'm saving for a bigger one right now. *If I am sucking the S(crap) from the bottom of the tank, when I change the water, am I also killing all the bacteria ?

I do a third of the tank at a time, and leave the rest alone, Sometimes stir up the stuff on the bottom, so the filters will clean it up a bit. *I have put in stress zyme, and also added some zeolite to get rid of the amonina. *Moving in a couple days, going to have to do a good water change then.. *thanks for all the help

No, you need to do a good gravel vac with every water change, especially with the UGF.

Did the tank ever cycle? In a cycled tank, you shouldn't see any ammonia.

IMO, you shouldn't waste your money on Stress Zyme, I (like most people) have never seen any benefits.

Could you give us some more specifics? Types of filters, types and #'s of fish, exact numbers for your ammonia and nitrite...

Josh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast