Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does it matter when I turn on tank lights?

This is a discussion on Does it matter when I turn on tank lights? within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
My boyfriend moved in recently bringing with him a 60 gallon freshwater tank and beautiful fishies. This morning when I ...

Default Does it matter when I turn on tank lights?

My boyfriend moved in recently bringing with him a 60 gallon freshwater tank and beautiful fishies. This morning when I woke up I turned the lights on so I could view the fish as I get ready for work. When he saw this he said we can't turn the lights on except for in the evening time because it will mess with the fish sleeping schedule. Any truth to this!? Can someone explain this to me?? Thanks!

Fish don't really sleep, some have been known to rest a little at the bottom of the tank from time to time but no real sleep. I believe it is best to have the lights on during sunlight hours to replicate their natural lighting however i don't believe the fishes really care. if it's darker the more shy species will come out and when the lights come on some will hide away.

Hope i've helped.

Dan

Currently have a Fluval Roma 240 Litre Marine
    Currently Housing:
    2 Clownfish
    1 Red/Pink Scooter Blenny
    2 Emerald Crabs
    2 Cleaner Shrimps
    4 Sand Sifting Snails
    3 Red Leg Hermit Crabs

Corals: Various Mushrooms

you need to do 12 and 12 to replicate nature as best you can.

I have my turn on at 10am, and turn out at 10pm. I use a cheapie Christmas tree timer to turn them on and off at the right times.

Turning it on for an hour while you dress in the morning isn't really a big deal, I know someone who has hers turn on at 7am when she gets up turn out at 8am when she leaves then she does the 12 hour thing from 11-11 her timer has 2 settings (the multi timer is like 6.00 the single timer is like 3-4)

As long as they aren't constantly on, or constantly off it's fine. Honestly if it's daylight in the room where the tank is it is of no difference provided that when the sun goes down you aren't keeping them up by keeping the lights on.

If they are sick keeping it dark will help them stay calm and relaxed.
    Marcy

Pleco and Cichlid enthusiast

I know people that get a little nuts with their lighting schedules. The most inventive I've heard of is low lights for an hour, then high lights for a couple hours, then low lights again, then high lights when they get home, followed by a dusk phase of low lights and then off. Total lit time was around 11 hours.

Lighting is nice for fish, but is more critical for your plants. Fish and plants are both generally fine with splitting the time up to a morning and evening session so you can view them on your own time.

Edit: Timers, absolutely timers. If not, you WILL forget. It makes it so much easier.
    I keep fish. They're not dead yet.

Thankyou all very much!

Is that a rat on your shoulder? And what exactly are you licking? Your pic brings questions, lol.
    I keep fish. They're not dead yet.

Hah, as long as she's not licking a fish i think it's all good haha

Currently have a Fluval Roma 240 Litre Marine
    Currently Housing:
    2 Clownfish
    1 Red/Pink Scooter Blenny
    2 Emerald Crabs
    2 Cleaner Shrimps
    4 Sand Sifting Snails
    3 Red Leg Hermit Crabs

Corals: Various Mushrooms

home depot and walmart both sell timers, don't get sucked into the pet store version, you pay three times as much for something made by a fish company
    Marcy

Pleco and Cichlid enthusiast

If the tank is planted, the lighting schedule becomes much more important.
    55 Gallon Planted tank
    1 Koi Angel
    1 Black Angel
    1 Sunset Angel
    2 Punctatus Cory Cat
    1 Clown Pleco
    6 Oto's

12 Gallon Planted community tank
    3 Neon's
    1 Platy
    lots of Platy fry
    2 Oto's

30 Gallon Planted community tank
    2 Burmese Border Loach
    12 Platys
    2 Platy Fry
    6 Fancy Guppies
    1 Guppy Fry
    1 Bristle Nose Pleco

10 Gallon Nursery
    8 Platy Fry
    2 Guppy Fry

Teenie Weenie Fish

My lighting schedule is to have the light on for approximately 9-9.5 hours a day while I'm at work, but one of these days I'm going to remember to stop by Walmart (I haven't been there since before Xmas 'cause I'm trying to economize) and pick up the timer. I'm almost to the point, I'll buy the expensive fish-store timer if only to get it done and not have to worry about asking someone to turn the light on and off on weekends.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast