Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High pH - How can I lower?

This is a discussion on High pH - How can I lower? within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
Hi, I've been testing (with my new testing kit - thank you for the advice everyone!) and Amonia, NitrAte and ...

Smile High pH - How can I lower?

Hi,

I've been testing (with my new testing kit - thank you for the advice everyone!) and Amonia, NitrAte and NitrIte are all fine but the pH is about 8.0.
    Not great for guppies.
    I have been doing regular (weekly) water changes. How do I lower the pH?
    Could it be my water supply? Should I use bottled water and then treat it?
    Thank you very much and also this is such a great forum for us Teenie Weenie Fish, so thank you for everyone's help and advice, it has has helped me so much

Portia x x x x x x x
    Only dead fish go with the flow.....

40 litre tank (10 gallons):

1 male guppy
    2 female guppies
    1 amano shrimp

I wouldn't worry about it IF the pH at the store you got them from is the same as your pH (call them and ask). The fish have already acclimated to the higher pH if the store's pH is the same as yours, so to lower it would be stressing them out and (from what I understand) could possible do more harm than good.
    55-1 angel, 4 fm bettas, 1 male GBR, 10 harlequin rasbora, 10 black neons, 7 cories, 1 featherfin cat, 1 BN pleco, 4 ghost shrimp
    46-4 tiger barbs, 1 SA bumblebee cat, 1 horseface loach, 1 clown pleco, 1 zebra nerite snail
    29-1 ryukin goldfish, 4 WCMM, 2 leopard danios, 5 gold barbs, 1 gold dojo loach
    28 reef-1 occellaris clownfish
    20gL-3 panda cories
    10-Anubis
    10-Blitz
    9-Chloe

^Credit goes to Lludu!^

Great, thank you x x x x

1 male guppy
    2 female guppies
    1 amano shrimp

you do far more damage by trying to change PH than you do by adapting fish to your PH.
    25 Tall Custom Show tank
    -4x Otocinclus (2M2F)
    -1x (M) Guppy
    -2x Black Kuhli Loaches (M+F)
    -20 baby Fathead Minnows

5 Gal
    Blue HM DT Betta

For sale, need to go before 6/25, $120, 2x Fish tanks
    http://providence.craigslist.org/for/1803629950.html

100% agree. guppies will be fine at 8 pH. just make sure you acclimate any new ones from the store Properly. long, proper acclimation will ensure a smoother transition. the ones you have already (assuming you got them a long time ago) are already used to the water and would probably get sick or die if you were to lower the pH quickly...
    just keep using your tap water and keep treating it with water conditioner, and dont worry

Credit goes to Lludu

Woo hoo! I'm finally getting all the levels right and everyone is settling in just nicely!
    They are so lovely to watch, it's amazing how much time you waste by just staring at them.
    My guppy who had the fin rot (now just a tiny strip at the bottom remains of his tail and a little bit if his back is flaky) is still going but seems to stay in one spot and looks like his side fins are going overtime to keep him moving. Will his tail grow back at all? I'm worried he is going to get exhausted, is there anything that can be done?

Thank you x x x xx

1 male guppy
    2 female guppies
    1 amano shrimp

Teenie Weenie Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
    Hi,

I've been testing (with my new testing kit - thank you for the advice everyone!) and Amonia, NitrAte and NitrIte are all fine but the pH is about 8.0.
    Not great for guppies.
    I have been doing regular (weekly) water changes. How do I lower the pH?
    Could it be my water supply? Should I use bottled water and then treat it?
    Thank you very much and also this is such a great forum for us Teenie Weenie Fish, so thank you for everyone's help and advice, it has has helped me so much

Portia x x x x x x x
    Good evening..

Depending on your fish, your looking for a pH level of 7.0, but you probably already knew that.. I use this stuff called "Proper pH 7.0" its made by API. Its a white powder. I dumped it in and waited a few min for it to circulate then I used my test strips and it gave a perfect reading of 7.0. It auto-corrects your pH whether it is above or below the norm. I got this at Petsmart. And i recommend all the API products, they work wonders for my fish. Hope i was helpful to you

Super Fish

In my opinion, unless you are breeding fish that need a specific pH, there is no need to add pH adjusters. Swings in pH are far more stressful to a fish than finding the 'perfect' pH. Fish will adapt to a pH that is kept stable.
    Just my 2cents,
    OC

PH changing chemicals are essentially a scam to get people to spend money. If you actually wanted to change your PH you are better off using natural methods than dumping pure chemicals into your tank and shocking your fish with drastic changes.

And perfect PH does nothing if you have high GKH.
    25 Tall Custom Show tank
    -4x Otocinclus (2M2F)
    -1x (M) Guppy
    -2x Black Kuhli Loaches (M+F)
    -20 baby Fathead Minnows

5 Gal
    Blue HM DT Betta

For sale, need to go before 6/25, $120, 2x Fish tanks
    http://providence.craigslist.org/for/1803629950.html

Quote Originally Posted by Doomhed View Post
    PH changing chemicals are essentially a scam to get people to spend money.
    After going that route two years ago I have to agree. Unless you are breeding fish, forget about it.
    The name is Joe.
    Member NANFA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast