Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

my new filter is so loud!

This is a discussion on my new filter is so loud! within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
i have anew penguin 350 filter and the noise is awful. it has been running for 4 days and is ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default my new filter is so loud!

i have anew penguin 350 filter and the noise is awful. it has been running for 4 days and is still way too loud. is there anything i can do?

Teenie Weenie Fish

Smile

Hello Robinanne,

I don't have any problems with my filter it is a Flubal 4 plus, if I were you, I would go to the shop that you brought from and ask if it could be faulty.

Do you have a air pump, because I know they can be noisy. If you have turn it off and make sure that it is the pump.

Some are quieter than others. The "Whisper" HOBs are pretty silent. If you have a sponge filter hooked up to an air pump, those are pretty loud. Even the Bio Wheel ones are loud IMO.
    http://missfishy.tripod.com/
    The Basic Guide to Cycling a Tank, Sick Fish and more!
    Updated 10/13/09 with a new layout!

Teenie Weenie Fish

the penguin has two bio wheels that they said would quiet down in 24-48 hours. it has been five days. i ordered a bunch of new decorations for my new tank that i haven't gotten yet. one is a color bubbler? so nothing in the tank but the filter and a couple of plastic plants from my other tank. the water is still kind of cloudy?

Is the noise from the water, or is it motor noise, or a vibration in the plastic housing?

The 350 is a pretty good sized filter that should have a 55g tank clear within a few hours. What size tank is it in?
    55 - 8 Tiger Barbs, 7 golden pristella tetras, 7 cherry barbs, 1 gourami
    29L - 8 Convict cichlids
    10QT - Empty

Teenie Weenie Fish

the noise is from the water. it sounds like my 25 gallon tank when the water level gets low. but the water is all up to the top on my new 55 gallon tank. i need to figure out the cloudy thing before i get my fish. any suggestions on good test kit?
    thanks!

Medium Fish

Can you adjust the flow control on your filter?

The cloudiness will go away on its own...and its very common.

API master test kit...approx. $30 bucks but it lasts a long time and is accurate.

Teenie Weenie Fish

Do you have anything up against the motor? This happened to me and that was the cause. The noise makes me a little crazy too. Good luck!

Before you figure out any cloudiness, you need to figure out cycling a tank BEFORE you get any fish. Read up on it, otherwise you'll have more problems than a noisy filter.
    http://missfishy.tripod.com/
    The Basic Guide to Cycling a Tank, Sick Fish and more!
    Updated 10/13/09 with a new layout!

Teenie Weenie Fish

thanks guys! i checked all the things you suggested. still very loud though. miss fishy i love your site! i am going to buy the test kit ttapu2u recommends. i got all my stuff for the inside of the tank last night and put it in. it looks ok but i am not happy with it yet. the water cleared up but i know i am still a while from getting fish. what about the color bubbler? was that a bad idea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast