Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hard stains on fish tank, what to clean with?

This is a discussion on Hard stains on fish tank, what to clean with? within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
Hey guys, Between our 2 fish tanks, there are some difficult stains to remove. They feel hard, and I know ...

Little Fish

Default Hard stains on fish tank, what to clean with?

Hey guys,

Between our 2 fish tanks, there are some difficult stains to remove. They feel hard, and I know on my established tank it occurred when fish splashed water which ran down the tank, resulting in the mark that I can't remove with anything.

If I was to assume what they were, I would say it's probably calcium. I wasn't sure what to get, I was thinking about CLR but I wanted to save the $5 on it if I didn't need it.

Thoughts?
    Tank Size: 15 gallon
    (7x) Neon Tetras
    (1x) Zebra Dannio
    (1x) Fancy Guppy?
    (2x) Emerald Green Cory
    (1x) Peppered Cory
    (1x) Chinese Algae Eater

try vinegar
    Just me and the critters! 55g FW tank, cat (Noel), dog (Scotch), and horse (Freckles)

My first thought is "Five bucks is nothing". But that's not the point.

Are your tanks glass or acrylic? I've always preferred glass for durability and resistance to scratching. I can't offer much help with acrylic.

When I first cleaned up my 25g (previously owned and filthy) it had a lot of white deposits both on the inside and the outside. The outside deposits were from water dripping or being splashed down the sides of the tank, and on the inside it was mostly around the moving waterline.

I think I ended up removing 90% of this stuff with a couple fresh razor blades - but this won't work on acrylic. What the razor didn't remove got hit by the steel wool - use the fine stuff, not the coarse stuff - but again, this won't work on acrylic.

Vinegar didn't work at all for me, and I think I may have tried CLR - but I don't think it worked very well either for some reason.

Whatever you decide to try, make sure you try it in a spot you never see.

And don't cut yourself with the razor. That would be bad.

PS - also, the water that the previous owners used would have been either well water or bottled water... so the stuff on that tank could have been any number of mineral deposits.
    Last edited by Kalavek; 11-09-2008 at 06:28 PM.
    45g: Severely Understocked with 7 Zebra Danios, 1 Gold Spot Pleco
    25g: Emptied for silicone replacement

hot water and elbow grease are best lol vinegar can help...

I wouldn't personally put anything else near my fish...definitely not clr.
    Just me and the critters! 55g FW tank, cat (Noel), dog (Scotch), and horse (Freckles)

I used a CLR like product on a glass cover, no ill effects to report so far. I just rinsed it off really really well

Yeah? Cool Maybe I'm just overly cautious when it comes to that stuff. I figure anything that says on the bottle you should be wearing gloves when handling it means I don't want to get it near any of my pets.

I would use a razor balde. Hot water and a cloth and what remains, scrape off with the blade.
    Trying to breed GBR (standard and high fin), Discus, Angels, and currently breeding 6 types of guppies, 5 types of swords, 2 types of mollies, and RCS.

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyFox View Post
    Yeah? Cool Maybe I'm just overly cautious when it comes to that stuff. I figure anything that says on the bottle you should be wearing gloves when handling it means I don't want to get it near any of my pets.
    I have mixed reactions to CLR. Yes, you should wear gloves when you use it, because that stuff is corrosive. BUT... it's advertised that you can put it through your coffee machine (for instance). I think the key with CLR is that it dilutes into water really easily - so you can just rinse it away for most purposes.

I'd rinse it a lot.
    45g: Severely Understocked with 7 Zebra Danios, 1 Gold Spot Pleco
    25g: Emptied for silicone replacement

I had some stains that would not come off. I bought some Lime Off and now the stains are hardly there.
    My tanks: 29g reef, 14g jewel cichlid , 29g, 30g planted, 180g African cichlid, 55g Jack Dempsey and 55g jewel cichlidhttp://jpotx113.4t.com/index_1.html

"The sun shines down on a lonely town
    Where the fish all smile 'cause they know us" -- Everclear

i have had success with vinegar..or as froggy said elbow grease and hot water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast