Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Molly bothering Koi

This is a discussion on Molly bothering Koi within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
Do Koi and Mollie's not "get along"? My housemate has a small 10 gallon freshwater tank, and we recently added ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default Molly bothering Koi

Do Koi and Mollie's not "get along"?

My housemate has a small 10 gallon freshwater tank, and we recently added two guppies, a sucker fish, and a koi to a tank containing a molly and rainbow shark(?). Yes, I know you shouldn't put a koi in such a small tank (plus there are temperature conflicts), but I had no say in that one. My housemate couldn't be convinced otherwise.

As soon as he put the koi in the tank, the white molly immediately started sucking/nibbling the backside of the koi. This has persisted for the last couple hours. Is this normal behavior? Do we need to separate them in order for both to survive?

Thanks for the help!

Without even knowing what the "sucker fish" is (I'm presuming a pleco), you are way overstocked.

I would say that probably the only fish that should remain in that 10 would be the guppies and possibly the molly.

How long has this tank been set up? Is it cycled?
    I strongly advise against intentionally farting whilst moving heavy weights. Sometimes -- especially under those circumstances -- farts have a solid center.

-Coach Rippetoe

ummm....Koi will get 3 feet in length! You might want to make them aware of that. And you and your house mate really need to do some research on keeping fish. Your tank is horribly stocked and is only going to cause more problems. I highly recommend reading the stickies in this forum.
    29g Cube - Planted - Heterandria formosa, Lucania goodei & Otocinclus vestitus

Teenie Weenie Fish

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Without even knowing what the "sucker fish" is (I'm presuming a pleco), you are way overstocked.

I would say that probably the only fish that should remain in that 10 would be the guppies and possibly the molly.

How long has this tank been set up? Is it cycled?
    Ha ha... sorry I know I'm probably a nuisance in this community, but you have to start somewhere, right? Pleco sounds right...

Trust me, if this was my personal tank, I'd definitely be doing things differently. This tank was paid for and is maintained by my housemate. The tank has been set up for about... 2 months or so. Yes, the tank has more or less been cycled (we've had fish in it from that first month). I don't know what kind of maintenance/upkeep my housemate has done.

So any idea what's up with the koi and molly duo?

Teenie Weenie Fish

Quote Originally Posted by FishGeek View Post
    ummm....Koi will get 3 feet in length! You might want to make them aware of that. And you and your house mate really need to do some research on keeping fish. Your tank is horribly stocked and is only going to cause more problems. I highly recommend reading the stickies in this forum.
    Yeah... I (and he) know. He's a little stubborn and said he didn't care. Like I said, I don't exactly have control over this tank.

I will take a look at those stickies though. Again, sorry if I/we disgust those of you in this fish community...

Mollies IME can be a little pesky to other fish. But I think you are missing the point here.

The Koi can get huge, and is really a cool water fish. Not compatible with the other inhabitants at all. The pleco if it is a common, again can get to well over a foot in length. The rainbow shark, about 6 inches. None of these fish should be in a 10g by themselves let alone together.

Do you know what the water parameters are in the tank (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)?
    I strongly advise against intentionally farting whilst moving heavy weights. Sometimes -- especially under those circumstances -- farts have a solid center.

-Coach Rippetoe

No, I think you misunderstand. We are all trying to help. But, If "he doesn't care" and you can't get him to care, then we are all wasting our time and effort trying to help.

Nobody is disgusted by a lack of knowledge. We were all there at some point. It is the lack of caring that will make people on the forum angry.

But, I can tell you one thing for certain. Unless you change the stocking in that tank ASAP, all of those fish will be dead very soon.

Doc out.

-Coach Rippetoe

Teenie Weenie Fish

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Mollies IME can be a little pesky to other fish. But I think you are missing the point here.

The Koi can get huge, and is really a cool water fish. Not compatible with the other inhabitants at all. The pleco if it is a common, again can get to well over a foot in length. The rainbow shark, about 6 inches. None of these fish should be in a 10g by themselves let alone together.

Do you know what the water parameters are in the tank (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)?
    I'm not missing the point. I know our tank (and its inhabitant mix) are terrible. I just wanted to know what was going on with the koi and molly.

I'll have a little talk with my house-mate and share these aquarium "basics." Maybe we can get this tank turned around

Teenie Weenie Fish

Alright, fair enough.

I appreciate all the help, Doc

Im not going to beat you up..welcome to the tank..

Obviously you care or you wouldnt be here..I dont think anyone is going to give you the exact answer your looking for due to the facts doc stated above..he knows what he is talking about..and to second what he said..really doesnt matter what your roommates think those fish if left in that tank will be dead within 6 months or so in my opinion. The worst thing we see here is newbies coming here and not taking the advice..asking for help is not a nuiscance (sp?) but as doc pointed out it is a waste of time if you dont take the advice given..I seem to have plenty of time so it doesnt matter to me..lol. Many or most of us came here for the same reason..overstocking, sick, etc..we listened we learned and some of us stick around to pass that info on to newbies..some learn and move on. some dont listen think we are picking on them and leave, believe me we arent picking on you we are trying to save you and your fish suffering down the road, some people post here saying how they love their fish so that wont change the setup or get rid of the fish, but in truth they are killing their beloved pets.
    Hopefully your roomates will listen and make some changes, Aquariums are very addicting and enjoyable but you have to meet certain conditions or they are a PITA and your fish will die.

Again welcome to the tank hopefully you will stick around and learn as much as you can and find out how enjoyable this hobby can be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast