Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Much GRAVEL?????

This is a discussion on How Much GRAVEL????? within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
I was curious. how much gravel should i put in the 90 GAL fish tank? I'm going to get some ...

Lightbulb How Much GRAVEL?????

I was curious. how much gravel should i put in the 90 GAL fish tank? I'm going to get some gravel to start my cycling. can i put the low/medium lighted plants in with the gravel before i start the cycling or should i wait for cycling to start for a couple days and then put the plants in?
    [90 gallon] cichlid tank ( soon)

Selling All community/Planted equip, plants, fish media, food, email me at
    silversp0rt@netscape.net for more information

OH also, is there any kind of special gravel or anything that is better for an aquarium?

Okay how much gravel for a 90 gallon tnak i would get probably about 110-120 lbs of gravel so it's atleast 2-3 inches high?

Do you know what laterite is you could get that to becuas eit will help you'r plants!!

Don't put the plants in for lets sya about 3 days so we know all the chlorine is gone okay

and better gravel i'd have to say Natural colored gravel, becuase bright colors can cause stress, but it's you'r decision
    Adam

"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are."
    -Milton Berle

so i mix the laterite with the gravel? will that be ok?

also, you say not to get bright colors cause it will stress the fish right? but my light is a flourescent blue. does that affect the fish? is that ok? or should i change the light?

I don't think it will affect the fish, but why is you'r light flouscent blue?

and yeah i'm not sure about alterite, but someone told me that's all you have to do, is mix it, but i've never used it so i don't know

IF you have AIM i would IM MinnesotaPooky she knows about laterite, etc... K
    Adam

"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are."
    -Milton Berle

i agree with most the stuff p-lvp except that fish do not care about gravel, it is best to have something either int he tnak on teh bottom or right under it on the bottom like paper, fish dont like to feal threatened from below by not being able to see, yes they will live fine in a bare bottom tank as for breeding and such, but if actually keeping fish id say do something for the bottom

Agree with Soulfish! They do not necessary need gravel. You can also paint the bottom also.
    This hobby is addicting. I want more Discus!!!

so it's a good idea to put about 1 to 2 inches of gravel mixed with laterite? is that what everyone is basically saying? or is it more beneficial and safer to just not put any gravel at all? do live plants need any gravel or sand etc in the tank to survive?

Sorry if we are confusing you!

If you are planning on having plants, a good substrate is necessary. Your substrate should have laterite or flourite mixed it with gravel or you can just use flourite by itself.

Some plants require a good substrate because they get their nutrients thru their roots. Other plants a good substrate may not be necessary as they get their nutrients thru the water column. This is where fertilization is required.

Depth of the substrate is sometimes depend on the plants also. Sword plants grow large root systems and it is recommend to have around 3"-4" of substrate. In any event, I would make at around 3" and sloping to the back to around 4".

Having a bare bottom tank, refer to as bb, is easier to keep clean. These tanks are generally used for breeding and growing out fry where cleaniless is essential as there is no place for bacteria to culture, uneaten food and feces to decay.
    This hobby is addicting. I want more Discus!!!

Little Fish

I would get some Estes fine sand and layer
    the bottom with a cm or less. Then I would
    put in asian root wood or some sinking wood
    and attach java fern to it.....

I like my tanks to hold water not gravel.

~ just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast