Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

fish for a 2 gallon tank

This is a discussion on fish for a 2 gallon tank within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
How many fish could I put in a 2 gallon tank, and what kind would do well? The reason I ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Post fish for a 2 gallon tank

How many fish could I put in a 2 gallon tank, and what kind would do well? The reason I ask is because I am a student and don't have much space in my dorm room,but I want to experience the joy of fish. Thanks for any help.

Jfish

Teenie Weenie Fish

Post Re: fish for a 2 gallon tank

Baisically you'll want something that stays relatively small, and is happy alone or in a small group. You'll also want something that can tolerate temperature changes throughout the day, since you are not advised to use a heater in a small tank.

I also have a two gallon tank. Right now I have three albino cory catfish. Other fish that would be ideal would be ONE Betta, or a small (5 at the VERY most) school of White Cloud Minnows. Both are noted to hardy, and good beginner fish.  

Remember to cycle before adding fish!

Any schooling fish would be a bad idea, you need too many.

Your best bet would be the single male betta. Very pretty fish.

Be sure to keep up with your regular maintainence, and as wraxa mentioned, fishless cycle.

Josh

I agree with the betta thing, I have had them live quite nicely in two gallon UGF tanks. In fact, I had a male steel blue Betta named Elwood that lived in my dorm with me all four years of school. I did a complete water change on him once a week. Feed him right, and he even had a little cory cat friend name Jake that he would get bluesy with now and again. We're talking very small cory cat here though. Every time I sat down at my desk to do homework or play on the computer, there would be Elwood doing his little betta dance. And sometimes I would do bio experiments on him, to see what colors pissed him off the most. But nothing pissed him off more than a mirror. The best way to get rid of obnoxious neighbors that don't know how to go home is to tell them your attack fish is gonna eat them up, then get him to flare for them like a real attack fish.

And I would also do white clouds, but stick to a trio. Five might be taxing a two gallon system a bit much. If you do attempt any more than three, do a one gallon water change twice a week (gravel vac any fuzzy food off the bottom) to make sure you don't accumulate too much fuzzy stuff.

Or do a pair of white clouds and a pair of cories.  Although white clouds and cories are fish that would prefer to be in larger numbers (6+) I have personally never had a problem with keeping only one cory in a two gallon UGF (provide him a little hidy hole, I had a coffee mug in mine), or just a trio of white clouds (just make sure you have one male and two females. A trio of all males may take to nipping each other).
    ~~Colesea
    The above, of course, is strictly opinion. If you don't have your own, I'll gladly give you mine.

Teenie Weenie Fish

I have two African Dwarf Aquatic frogs in my two gallon. They're very cute and easy to take care of. You can also add maybe a dwarf gourami with them. Just make sure that they're not clawed frogs, or else they'll eat any fish that can fit in their mouths. But they're very cute, and have provided me with much entertainment ley*. They're popping up in pet stores everywhere. If frogs aren't your thing than a betta or a male fancy tailed guppy would work. But remember what JWright said, schooling fish would be a bad idea for such a small tank. Good Luck

Teenie Weenie Fish

why can't I use a heater, how else would I warm the water? Other than Betta(I am not particularly crazy about) what else would be suitable? Would mollies or other livebearers do well? Thanks for any help.

Jfish

I believe I have heard that paradise fish are supposedly pretty hardy, and can do OK in an unheated tank.  

I have a real tiny heater for 2 - 5 gallon tanks.  (Walmart, $6.99)  It doesn't have a thermostat, but does hold the water at a steady 72F.  I would think that as long as you use a thermometer and check it daily - that should work.

I like to use a heater to even out the temp swings that the rooms go through.  Sometimes it's 5 - 7 degrees from day to night.  

Sophisticated, Seductive, Complex and Full Bodied... the wine's not bad either.

I'm also going to be setting up a 2-1/2 gal in my sons room.  I usually use it as a hospital tank for my ciclids, but instead I was going to try something more peaceful such as neons or guppies or possibly both.  I have a small heater in mine (no problems with it)  and a small power filter.  Would this be to small to test out my plant keeping skills also? smiley*

Teenie Weenie Fish

Setup:
    No filter. Some plants, if the tank is put in a place where it gets some sun. I hope you don't live in a cold place. That would complicate things. The tank must be at 70-80 F. I suggest you get a really pretty Betta and a cory catfish. Get neutral colored gravel, like brown gravel, so that the Betta's colors will look nicer. Also get a small mirror and show it to him once in a while.

Little Fish

Jfish,

Just curious why you don't like bettas.  Do they seem boring to you?  If they are kept at too low a temp they can get lethargic, but often perk up if kept in warmer water and become more active.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison&&&&&&&&

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast