No Power! What do I do?

This is a discussion on No Power! What do I do? within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
The storm that blew through the midwest knocked out our power. What do you do for filtration and oxygen for ...

Teenie Weenie Fish supergirltnt's Avatar

Red face No Power! What do I do?

The storm that blew through the midwest knocked out our power. What do you do for filtration and oxygen for your tanks? How long will the fish typically last with no power? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As long as it doesn't last for days, you'll be fine. Oxygen is dissolved into the water along the surface of the tank. It always works like that, but using filtreation/aeration 'mix up' the water so more is at the top to take in the oxygen.

Really, what can you do? Unless you want to go out and spend the money for a battery backup system, or battery powered filter and air pump - there's not much that can be done withoug power.
    46g Bowfront, Filstar XP3, 149w, 2x CO2 Ladders with DIY reactor / 12 Guppies, 2 Otocinclus, 6 albino Cory, f. Beta, 3BN Plecos / planted
    25g Eclipse - 6 feeder guppies, large pleco / planted
    10g - holding goldfish in the garage, long story
    My other tanks are empty at the moment
    I moved, things didn't go so well with adapting to the new water parameters, large pleco was the only to survive, starting over

they'll be fine. it would be helpful to stir up the water with your hand every now and again to mix up the water and aerate it a bit. if the power is out for more than a day, you can do a water change.
    cheers,
    jan
    -------------------------------------------------
    20LG moderatly planted: empty

RIP bluegill sunfish 2004-2009

RIP pumpkinseed sunfish 2004-2007

Little Fish

when we had a recent power outage, i took an empty, clean pitcher, filled it with tank water, and slowly poured it from about a foot from the water level. did it every hour or so to keep the water oxygenated.

If you can. get a batery bowered air pump and try to get one of them polestyrene boxes and that should keep it warm while the power is out

Quote Originally Posted by hyunelan2
    Really, what can you do? Unless you want to go out and spend the money for a battery backup system, or battery powered filter and air pump - there's not much that can be done withoug power.
    They make battery powered filters?? I'd really like to get my hands on one, so if anyone knows how I can get one. I know they have emergency power supplies, but a filter that you can just put batteries in would be awesome!
    -Owner of a defective tank
    -Buyer of toxic decorum
    -Aquarist to a sick fish
    -...and I will have my refund
    -Charlius, w/ a terrible 'Gladiator' ripped signature-