Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breeding Bloodworms

This is a discussion on Breeding Bloodworms within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
I've been trying to find infomration about breeding bloodworms. I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) about someone to had ...

Little Fish

Default Breeding Bloodworms

I've been trying to find infomration about breeding bloodworms. I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) about someone to had bloodworms survivng and breeding in thier tank.

Does anyone know about breeding bloodworms or even what kind of conditions they would need to survive for the long term??

Bloodworms are the larvae of a small Chironomid fly called a 'midge'. They are found in practically any body of water with a muddy bottom. Unless you have a facility where you can raise the larvae into adults (they go through complete metamorphosis), then provide a place for the adults to fly and swarm, and then lay their eggs you won't be able to breed them.

I think an earlier post discussed the fact that Tubifex worms, especially the 'red tubifex' are often mistakenly called bloodworms. Tubifex worms are true worms and will take up residence in your aquarium substrate if they aren't eaten. However, breeding them in large enough quantity to serve as fishfood isn't really practical.

In both cases (true blood'worms' and tubifex worms) it is much cheaper to go out and buy them from your local fish store.
    Polypterus afficionado
    Aquarist since 1964

what?! i thought bloodworms were a certain species of mosquito larvae! :P well, i think that thee mosquito larvae would be easier. afterall you just take a bucket of grass clippings + water, place it outside, and wait for the mosquitos to reproduce!
    All creatures currently being owned:
    Betta, Blue Paradise Fish, Cherry Barb, Endlers Livebearer, German Blue Rams, Guppy, Otocinclus, Red-Capped Oranda, White Cloud Mountain Minnow, Soft Shell Turtle

I REALLY have to start breeding more different species of fish..

no contrary to common thinking bloodworms aren't mosquito but midge larve as said above.if they were mosquito larve we would all have stagnat pools of water in the backyard to collect fish food(which is a bad idea btw,can you say disease outbreak)glassworms aka white bloodworms are mosquito larve.
    I still love catfish!

I have had glassworms before. They are a great food. You can feed them when they are larvea or you can feed them when they turn into mosquitos- both of which are great to feed fish.

In the spirit of this thread... what is the best 'live' food to breed and feed adult fish?

Little Fish

Well I guess Im going to have to go with tubefex worms, I wanted something I could throw in my tank and would survive so my puffers would have something to eat between feedings... but now Im having trouble finding live tubefex worms, Im finding frozen everywhere but noone seems to carry live ones

Large Fish

Haven't tried it myself but brineshrimp seem's quite popular or daphnia (can you breed that)?

hrmm try the common run-off-the-mill gammarus. its an amphipod that can be found in the pond. a nice hard shrimp relative, tasty, easy to breed. so if you keep some in your tank (cleaned of course) that arent eaten will breed well. i think. never had gammarus myself, but they breed well supposedly. im pretty sure puffers will eat em...
    All creatures currently being owned:
    Betta, Blue Paradise Fish, Cherry Barb, Endlers Livebearer, German Blue Rams, Guppy, Otocinclus, Red-Capped Oranda, White Cloud Mountain Minnow, Soft Shell Turtle

I REALLY have to start breeding more different species of fish..

Little Fish

the bloodworms in my newt tank have been breeding for years. (I havent put any bloodworms in there for at least 5 years)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast