Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fungus-y wood

This is a discussion on Fungus-y wood within the FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
Okay, I swear this is my last question of the day. You people are probably getting sick of me. I ...

Little Fish

Default Fungus-y wood

Okay, I swear this is my last question of the day. You people are probably getting sick of me.

I have a piece of driftwood in an as of yet unoccupied tank. It's been filled and up and running for a week or so now, and for some reason some weird fluffy white fungus is growing on part of the wood. What to do, and why did it happen?

Thanks!
    If you want to know, just ask.

Its harmless it will die off or you canscrape it off either way
    Marcus S Russo

GOT CO2-- Well We do come on in ????

JBJ NANOCUBES 5 - 12 off SEE INSIDE
    JBJ powerheads buy 2 get 1 FREE
    JBJ CHILLERS
    Power compacts LIGHTS SUPER SALE including lowest

Http://www.aquatic-store.com/index2.html

Lou

I had the same thing recently on a tank I redid. I've had cloudy water problems for over a week...probably some kind of bloom. Tank going through a mini cycle so I just put in a box filter from another tank to help the fishies out...So I guess it might be harmless, but I've had a big trouble getting this tank to settle down. I took out the driftwood and will figure out how to treat it after I figure out how to get this tank to be clear and stable.

Any other opinions are welcome from my perspective...
    Mostly guppies...4 tanks that keep changing
    Escape--it is the basket
    In which the Heart is caught
    When down some awful Battlement
    The rest of Life is dropt.
    ~Emily Dickinson

You should always boil wood before you put it in the tank...to help remove tannins and also to kill all the nasties. It would probably have prevented the fungus growing in the first place.
    My advice would be to take the wood out, scrub the fungus off and give the wood a good boil before putting it back.
    Scrumpy

33 gallon freshwater planted tropical tank with 3 peppered cories, clown plec, 2 SAEs, 11 Cardinal tetras, 1 Bosemani rainbow fish, 3 ottos, 1 diamond tetra.

Lou

I don't have a pot that big to boil it in. Any other ideas. Also this cloudy water is not going away...think a whopping big water change is in order???

Thanks
    Escape--it is the basket
    ~Emily Dickinson

Sometimes when an enthusiast brings driftwood home, the temptation to boil it before adding it to their aquarium becomes too great to ignore. When they do this, they sterilize the wood and leave it vulnerable to fungal colonization. If this happens, do not panic! Two things to note:

1. This fungus is harmless to both fish and plants. In fact, many fish will seek it out to eat it. Yes, it looks unplesant but boiling the driftwood again and again to get rid of it is futile. This just restarts the cycle of colonization.

2. This fungus is temporary. Once the natural bacteria in your aquarium have a chance to get a foothold, they will colonize the driftwood and out compete the fungus. The fungus will then seem to disappear; almost overnight.
    I was browsing around on this site http://www.floridadriftwood.com/aqua..._driftwood.htm and found the above information.

There is quite a lot of interesting stuff about driftwood on the site (and about plants, too)
    Lotus and Ecotank's tanks

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Hmmm. I'll have a look at the site.
    The whole point to me is to sterilize the wood rather than add diseases/ living organisms to the tank....and IMO it kills fungals spores too. Never had any fungus growing on my wood.
    Also with bog wood it's crucial to remove some of the tannins unless you want your water golden brown (which some people do).
    My current piece of bog wood it huge.....I had to boil half at a time in a preserving pan...and keep turning the thing over to submerge different bits.
    You could try putting it in a big plastic box in the bath and blanch it by pouring a few kettles of boiling water over it, then soak it in the hottest tap water you can.
    Last edited by Scrumpy; 10-30-2003 at 05:47 AM.
    Scrumpy

33 gallon freshwater planted tropical tank with 3 peppered cories, clown plec, 2 SAEs, 11 Cardinal tetras, 1 Bosemani rainbow fish, 3 ottos, 1 diamond tetra.

Super Fish

In my experience boiling is futile as far as the white fungus is concerned. I had a large piece which I boiled 3 times for 3 hours at a time and it still developed fungus and it still leached tannins.

It's now sitting in a box in my garage along with 3 other pieces of bogwood and mopani wood......rocks are much better for Tanganyikans anyway!
    ......who stole my banner?

Lou

Well thanks everyone. Very interesting info Lotus. I think this tank is going through a cycling thing, so getting the bacteria established and then adding the wood might be the best idea. It really did seem to mess up the tank. I just did a 80% water change and there was lots of goopy stuff off the bottom. Man that fungus can grow fast! New tank no nutrients and bam it doesn't matter.

Well it isn't a great situation, but I think the most sensitive fish are out of the tank and I'll watch the levels to keep those remaining safe.

Thanks again for the resources...
    Escape--it is the basket
    ~Emily Dickinson

Little Fish

Well I don't have any fish in it yet - I'm still waiting till I can change my lighting so I can put plants in... so perhaps it will go through a small cycle of it's own despite me not having thrown any ammonia and the fungus will disappear.

Thanks Lotus!
    If you want to know, just ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast