Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How long to heat an aquarium?

This is a discussion on How long to heat an aquarium? within the Equipment forums, part of the Misc. Category category;
I have a 36 gallon aquarium and put a Marineland Visi-Therm 200 Watt Heater in on Thursday night 7pm. Keep ...

Question How long to heat an aquarium?

I have a 36 gallon aquarium and put a Marineland Visi-Therm 200 Watt Heater in on Thursday night 7pm. Keep in mind this is a new tank for me, never have done this before and have spent and entire week going back and forth getting all the right stuff for the tank. Including a return on an aquian heater because it would never go on. So I researched and All the reviews on this heater, Visi-Therm are excellent but I was under the impression it would heat pretty fast since I have a 200 Watt in a 36 gallon tank. The water temp was at 45' degrees on Thursday night and it is only up to 52' degrees. It has not been 48 hrs yet. Is this going to take a week to get to 77-78' degrees. I have the heater submerged straight up and down, all the way in the water in the back corner since it cannot touch any decorations in my tank. The filter is an aqua clear power filter which hangs outside the tank taking water from the tank and putting it back in from above. I thought maybe this could be cooling down the water and keeping the heating process to a minimum. I have minimum space opened at the top of the tank. There is absolutely no information on the internet as to how long it takes to heat an aquarium. So if this is a stupid question, I give up. I want to start cycling but can't get any fish until I get the heat stabilized in my tank.....

36G: 1/29/08 Set up, just 2 days short of 9 weeks and we're cycled 3/30/08

2009 tank update

5-zebra danios
    5-ghost glass catfish
    1-very large pleco (loves to eat)
    2-angelfish (1-black marble) (1-albino)
    2-columbian red fin tetras
    1-apple snail

10G: Coldwater Tank
    8-Goldfish saved from a pond we filled in. Small fish. 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch length. You know the 12 cent fish.

How high do you have your heater set at? Also, where are you keeping your tank, 45 and 52 degrees are pretty low.

is your heater hot to the touch? it may not be on...
    75 gallon planted with 20ish harlequin rasboras, 6 otos, 7 Corydoras Arcuatus, one khuli loach, 7Schistura Savona, 2 Farlowella Acus, a bunch of Aselone Spixi snails and a bunch of RCS/Amano/other shrimp... oh yeah, and 100+ Boraras Brigittae

10 Gallon sandy bottom w/ driftwood, mosses and bumblebee shrimp. I plan on having danios and dwarf crays when I sell the shrimp.

5.5 gallon with 1 helpless African Dwarf Frog and 1 Betta

Photos to look: Flickr

Photos to buy: www.forrestcook.com

I live in a beach house with 39 windows. Hard to find a location away from a window. I have it upstairs in my office. I have a corner not hit by sun and not a huge window near it, but do have a small window near it. It is covered well and I feel no cool draft etc. The room is about 68 degrees but sometimes get cold at night. We tend to keep the heat off on this side of the house. I know the heater is working as I put my hand in and felt it and it was warm to the touch. It is one of the black covered heaters. I guess I could have a fishless tank. haha..

2009 tank update

5-zebra danios
    5-ghost glass catfish
    1-apple snail

8-Goldfish saved from a pond we filled in. Small fish. 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch length. You know the 12 cent fish.

If your tank is that cold you might actually need two heaters in it.
    29G - Cories, Black Skirts, Yoyo Loaches, SAE, Betta
    10G - Betta, Ottos
    3G - Betta Retirement Home
    10G - Crayfish tank in the works... no bettas allowed

oh yeah, the heater is set at 77 or 78

2009 tank update

5-zebra danios
    5-ghost glass catfish
    1-apple snail

is that wierd for a 36 gallon with a 200 watt heater. I dont want to fry my fish. I thought maybe a problem with it placed in the back, the water sucks up not far from it and comes back down from the top of the filter and i wondered if it is just not circulating enough although my plants (all fake at this point seem to have movement) anyone have the same problem?

2009 tank update

5-zebra danios
    5-ghost glass catfish
    1-apple snail

I put my heater right beside my filter so it does circulate the warmed water around the tank personally and I put my thermometer at the furthest point from the heater.
    10G - Betta, Ottos

ok. so placement is correct. my thermometer is the inside stick on, not a digital and it is placed across the tank from the heater. I have one on the outside also but it reads 78 and I know its not 78. My inside says 52.
    I just unplugged my heater just now and moved to another plug outlet. This is a new house to us and we have a few problems maybe the plug works part of the time..never heard of that but with all the stuff we found in this house, you never know. All thoughts are welcome and thanks so much for all your input

2009 tank update

5-zebra danios
    5-ghost glass catfish
    1-apple snail

I think your thermometers are off it shouldn't be 52F in that tank if the room is 78! My kitchen drops down to about 67 at night and my tank even when I had no heater never went colder then 69F
    10G - Betta, Ottos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast