How to clean a fluval 404

This is a discussion on How to clean a fluval 404 within the Equipment forums, part of the Misc. Category category;
Ive just got a new tank with a fluval 404 filter, ive always had internal filters so have no idea ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default How to clean a fluval 404

Ive just got a new tank with a fluval 404 filter, ive always had internal filters so have no idea what to do with this bad boy,can any one help with how to clean it first, with out destroying the bacteria cos its come full of water and i think not far off being ready to go, and set up tips any advice would be great cheers.

Well once your tank is cylced i think you will need to do filter maintanace every month, perhaps ? depending on what fish you are keeping.

I have an eheim canister filter, i just change the floss, and put the lid back on and im good to go.

Guysy

43gal:
    T5 lighting added 2x 55W - 2.5WPG
    Planted.. Minor case of hair algae clearing up abit now. due to dosing Excel and upping co2
    3 Half black moon angels
    11 Rummy nose Tetras
    10 Algae shrimp
    All guppies given to LFS
    4 Khuli loaches
    2 BN pleco male & female

7Gal:
    3 BN Plecos and a lot of green water

Teenie Weenie Fish

do they need primeing or are they plug and play?

Medium Fish

Does it have a manual?
    ---
    75 Gallon
    Rena FilStar xP3, Hydor ETH 300W, Coralife 48" Aqualight 260W 6700K, Rex Grigg Regulator with Ideal Valve, 10 pound CO2 cylinder. :: ADA Aqua Soil Malaya and ADA Power Sand M
    ---

Teenie Weenie Fish

No got a second hand tank, my partner recieved it but didnt ask any thing i was at work, she wouldnt of had a clue anyway

Im not too sure by what you mean with plug and play. i just hooked up the tank with an intake and outflow with tubing and turned it on.

Sometimes theres an air bubble in the canister so i take one tube off, suck water down the tube and before it goes all over the floor i push it back into the filter intake/outake and it fills up.

Could you give more info please

Guysy

43gal:
    T5 lighting added 2x 55W - 2.5WPG
    Planted.. Minor case of hair algae clearing up abit now. due to dosing Excel and upping co2
    3 Half black moon angels
    11 Rummy nose Tetras
    10 Algae shrimp
    All guppies given to LFS
    4 Khuli loaches
    2 BN pleco male & female

7Gal:
    3 BN Plecos and a lot of green water

Medium Fish

There are a number of different manuals available for the Fluval 04 series of filters. During its product life, quite a number of changes were made that requires different manuals to be produced as time went by.

From earliest to latest, the manuals can be obtained from:

Smooth Hose
    http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/Fluval04.pdf

Ribbed Hose:
    http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/Fluval04new.pdf

New Aqua-Stop:
    http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/Flu...ual_082002.pdf

New Lift Lock Design:
    http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/Fluval_MSF_Manual.pdf

I hope this helps, be sure you identify the correct filter you have before trying to order parts.
    found that on Hagen website
    ---
    75 Gallon
    Rena FilStar xP3, Hydor ETH 300W, Coralife 48" Aqualight 260W 6700K, Rex Grigg Regulator with Ideal Valve, 10 pound CO2 cylinder. :: ADA Aqua Soil Malaya and ADA Power Sand M
    ---