Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Build my own in wall fish tank

This is a discussion on Build my own in wall fish tank within the Do It Yourself forums, part of the Misc. Category category;
Hello there everyone, im new to all this. From ireland and im currently building a house, have always wanted an ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default Build my own in wall fish tank

Hello there everyone, im new to all this. From ireland and im currently building a house, have always wanted an in wall fish tank Wall Aquariums and wall mounted aquariums plus Tropical Fish Tanks. like this i have allowed the same gap to suit there 35 gallon tank but with delivery to ireland it makes it very expensive, if i bought the acryilc here would i be able to make this myself?

I believe that you probably could. I'm not the handy type, but I have heard of people making their own tanks like this. I'd just suggest being sure to plan out your plumbing and access very carefully because as cool as wall tanks look, they can also be a royal pain in the butt to maintain. Think about how you do water changes and netting out fish etc
    Just me and the critters! 55g FW tank, cat (Noel), dog (Scotch), and horse (Freckles)

Most of the time when I've seen people do this they make sure they leave space behind the tank, like putting the back of the tank into a closet. This allows full access to the tank behind the wall and to all the equipment and supplies.
    I am Species 5618: Coffee Based life form

I can't belive no one said this yet.....Welcome to the Tank!

Yes you could build an acrilic tank and it would save you a bundle. In fact i have pondered wheather or not to build one myself.

I know i said what everyone else said but i really wanted to welcome you to the tank since no one else did.
    -30 gal saltwater- 2 bar gobies, sixline wrasse, lawnmower blenny, 2 pistol shrimp, colt coral, and multiple star polyp colonies.

-30 gal freshwater- 3 Brishardi cichlids, 2 synodontis catfish.

Teenie Weenie Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Bayshore Industries - Publicly Traded as WNRC has a great wall mounted aquarium and wall mounted fish tanks for sale from now until Christmas! Easy to install (and you don't have to put a hole in the wall). You get the look of the aquarium like the one you have pictured, plus its a LOT less expensive and so much easier to maintain. You don't have to put the aquarium on a drawer system or have to have access from behind...instead you service it like a regular aquarium.
    spam???????????
    55 Fresh

Pleco 8"
    Jack Dempsey 6"
    Jellybean Parrot 6" (I didn't know about the horrific process till after)
    More to come....

Probably spam.
    Welcome to the tank, lol.
    I would agree that you need to make sure that you leave yourself space. Figure out the minimum amount of space you think you need and double it, lol. It just always works out that you never have enough space!
    Trying to breed GBR (standard and high fin), Discus, Angels, and currently breeding 6 types of guppies, 5 types of swords, 2 types of mollies, and RCS.

Teenie Weenie Fish

I just finished my in wall 120 gallon. I own a contracting business and this was still a pretty big deal for us....a lot of little issues pop up that you would not think of. Including paying for labor for my guys my total was $2750....that includes everything besides priming and painting the molding and the walls. $700 was labor...

The tank also has a fill line plumbed from my basement and a siphon line that goes out the basement wall.

The total does not include fish but it does include $250 for gravel, rocks, fake plants, and fish tank wood.

The tank looks awesome...easily the coolest project I have ever done in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by widebody2 View Post
    The tank looks awesome...easily the coolest project I have ever done in my life.
    Photos, or it didn't happen!

Mid-construction if possible, I'm curious how you did your framework - was this built over a structural wall?
    45g: Severely Understocked with 7 Zebra Danios, 1 Gold Spot Pleco
    25g: Emptied for silicone replacement

Teenie Weenie Fish

The tank is above the center beam of the house...so yes it was on a structural wall. We actually took the wall which was 4.5 - 5 inch thick and pushed it out to be 18 inches thick or so. We basically made another wall the same as the original wall but 18 inches away. Each wall had a window framed into it and then they were connected....with no tank in it it looked just like a bar.

I just thought of a few things that I forgot when I was adding up my totals so overall this project will probably run me approx 3200 before fish.

Teenie Weenie Fish

lets see if I can figure this out
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast