Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

DIY Tank Stand Plans

This is a discussion on DIY Tank Stand Plans within the Do It Yourself forums, part of the Misc. Category category;
I have been looking at getting a bigger tank to host all of my current fish. I have decided on ...

Lightbulb DIY Tank Stand Plans

I have been looking at getting a bigger tank to host all of my current fish. I have decided on a 75 Gal tank. I have not found a stand that is in my budget or that I like. I have decided to build one. Here are photos of the plans I have came up with. I wanted to know what everyone thought. It is made of 2X6 lumber. Not shown in the plans there will be a 1X8 that wraps the top go hide the tank trim. The circles that you see are the location of screws. There will be a shelf in the bottom. I am debating on wraping the bottom of the stand in 1/4 in Plywood.

This is Frame for the Top that the tank will sit on. The bottom will match it also.

This is a side view of what it should look like with out the 1X8 around the top.

I know that there are multiple photos of the same plans but depending on
    your computer some will appear better then others.

I was wondeirng if I should put some kind of MDF or Plywood on the top to distribute the weight more.

If you need some more info just let me know.

Thanks

MAHA
    75G Freshwater: 3 Angel Fish and a lot of guppies. It is at my Brothers house while I am out of country.

My Facebook Page

I started to build the stand today. I was working at my bros housse and forgot my camera so no in progress Pics but I will get a semi finished ones next week. I was standing on it when it was assembled. I will have to get some more people to stand on it wiht me just to make sure it will hold.

I am getting the supplies together to set up the 75 Gal tank. I have ordered a XP2 as a filter, I have 2 bags of Eco-complete on its way. The stand it half way done. I need to rearrange the room to get the spot ready for everything. Next saturday I will finish the stand and build the Canopy.

MAHA
    75G Freshwater: 3 Angel Fish and a lot of guppies. It is at my Brothers house while I am out of country.

My Facebook Page

Teenie Weenie Fish KilledByQTips's Avatar

looks good maha!!! : ) good luck with it and make sure to keep ur progress posted!!!! c ya
    JJ

Yeah, get us some pics... "In progress" pics would be really helpful if any of us wanna build our own stand and don't know what we are doing (like me).
    75 gal. Dozens of guppies, 2 angelfish, 1 pleco
    16 gal. tall 7 cardinals, 1 sick beta
    5 gal. hex -empty-

may i ask why its 48 and 1/2 inches, isnt the footprint 48 whats the xtra half inch for?
    55 Gallon Tank:
    Fish: 4 Blue Gourami| 2 Yoyo Loaches | 6 trillineaus cories| 6 jullis |3 Unknown Cichlids| 2 spotted raphael catfish| 1 Gold fish
    Plants: None.
    Substrate: Flourite
    Filtration Rena Filstar xp2 , Fluval Fx5

75 Gallon: Work in progress

It is 48 1/2 in for a couple of reasons 1. Tank sizes vary by manufactuer. and 2. I am allowing for the tank trim, Most people just measure the glass and forget about the trim. I looked up a lot of 75G tanks dimensions and most were 48 1/2 with the trim. I really dont want to have to force the tank in to the stand.

MAHA

My Facebook Page

yeah i measured mine, mine is 48 1/4 i assumed you measured for the trim, but since mine was 48 1/4 i couldnt understand the 1/2, i want my snug, so that junk doesnt get lost in a gap of space.
    55 Gallon Tank:
    Fish: 4 Blue Gourami| 2 Yoyo Loaches | 6 trillineaus cories| 6 jullis |3 Unknown Cichlids| 2 spotted raphael catfish| 1 Gold fish
    Plants: None.
    Substrate: Flourite
    Filtration Rena Filstar xp2 , Fluval Fx5

75 Gallon: Work in progress

Lightbulb Update: 28 Oct 2006

Here is the update on my tank stand. I had the frame finished a week ago. I added a shelf and cut a top for it here are some photos.

Enjoy

More

My Facebook Page

Lightbulb The rest of the Photos

There it is. I have attached the top with Screws. Now I just need to decide to paint or Leave it the way it is. I will be adding some 1X8 for trim when I get the tank and know how High I need it to go.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks

MAHA

My Facebook Page

when i built mine i did basically the same frame as yours but i used 2x4 instead of the 2x6 like you did, and i also framed mine in plywood and stained it to match my tank, so it didnt look open and exposed, it also gave me room for storage without having to look at the stuff underneath, i still have not gotten my doors for it but im working on that lol i only made my stand 24 inches tall because im short and wanted to be able to reach the bottom of the tank.
    one sad empty 10g tank

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast