Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bump on Convicts Head

This is a discussion on Bump on Convicts Head within the Cichlid Discussion forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
I was feeding my cichlids and noticed that my male convict has a bump on his head. Is this normal? ...

Default Bump on Convicts Head

I was feeding my cichlids and noticed that my male convict has a bump on his head. Is this normal? He is about 3.5 inches! if it is normal what does it mean?
    Last edited by Panther28; 07-12-2006 at 11:12 PM. Reason: need to subscribe

90 Gallon Reef 140 lbs LR(Fiji & Marshal), 80 lbs sand, 8 Scarlet Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Nassarius snails, 6 Turbo snails, 2 Cleaner(Skunk)Shrimp, 2 Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 1 Emerald crab, 2 Clowns, 2 Cardinal fish, 1 firefish, 1 Sixline, 1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, 1 Green chromis, 1 Coral Beauty, 1 Hippo tang, 1 Sailfin tang.
    29 G custom sump + 5 gallon reservoir.

Males generally develop a "hump" as they age....i guess he could start at 3.5". Any pictures of the bump?
    -Matt
    Check out my YOUTUBE channel for videos of my fish and more! - http://www.youtube.com/user/Clemmatt

I will try if i can get some pics by tomorrow. I need to get some sleep

90 Gallon Reef 140 lbs LR(Fiji & Marshal), 80 lbs sand, 8 Scarlet Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Nassarius snails, 6 Turbo snails, 2 Cleaner(Skunk)Shrimp, 2 Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 1 Emerald crab, 2 Clowns, 2 Cardinal fish, 1 firefish, 1 Sixline, 1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, 1 Green chromis, 1 Coral Beauty, 1 Hippo tang, 1 Sailfin tang.

It's exactly what C-man said. I have one at 2.5" already growing one that will probably be more impressive than my full grown Con's hump.
    -Matt

I didn't know you had convicts dback, let alone FW.
    -Matt
    Check out my YOUTUBE channel for videos of my fish and more! - http://www.youtube.com/user/Clemmatt

Quote Originally Posted by dbacksrat
    It's exactly what C-man said. I have one at 2.5" already growing one that will probably be more impressive than my full grown Con's hump.
    TRAITOR!

lol

Lots of male cichlids will get this hum, even angels and discus will show small examples of this "male" hump. Not always but it does happen.

Pure's 100% on that!
    Lumpy cons are the best! I've seen some pics of big male cons with some narley nuchal humps which is why some folks lovingly refer to them as the "mini-midas".

http://www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk/convict.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/blue_ram_2000/zebra4.gif
    ^those are some small humps but humps nonetheless. I've seen some OUT OF CONTROL ones! I do believe you can find a pic of one or two at cichlidmadness.com in a "cichlids with humps" thread.

I actually did not know that convicts could get bumps. This is good news right? Well. I have a very useless camera so cant get a clear picture of the guy. Anyways thanks for the help.

Good? I dunno. Depends on whether or not you find nuchal humps appealing. Some folks can't stand them and hate fish with a huge lump on their head, others are all about "the bigger the better".
    I like them!

I my self am not in to bumps. The fish start looking wierd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast