Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weird Blood Parrot coloration

This is a discussion on Weird Blood Parrot coloration within the Cichlid Discussion forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
My old lady got us a Blood Parrot about a month ago from Petsmart and the thing is when she ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default Weird Blood Parrot coloration

My old lady got us a Blood Parrot about a month ago from Petsmart and the thing is when she got him the only part of his body that was red was below his mouth and the rest of his body is black, brown tiger striped. Over the past month he hasnt gotten any more red coloration, in fact the tiger striping has gotten much darker (not splochy or anything like that just in general darker). I have consoled myself to the fact he probably wont get anymore red yet i really want to know whats going on, is this some bait and switch because my old lady said the sales people at Petsmart swore up and down that he would become red. Also those testamonials saying how friendly they are and how they recognize their owner well that hasnt happened in fact he just sits around in his little coner coming out randomly just to prove hes the dominate fish in my tank. This fish gets a big thumbs down, while all my other fish are getting more colorful and are recognizing who their owner is (when its feeding time they all come out to greet me and im sure ill have the Firemouth trained to eat out of my hand) the Blood Parrot just seems to be about the most uninteresting fish in my tank. If anyone knows whats going on please let me know whats up.
    29 Gal - 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Neolamprologus maruguensis (white tip Brichardi), 1 Pseudotropheus sp. "elongatus Mdoka", 1 Blood Parrot, 1 Astatotilapia aneocolor

10 Gal - 1 Platnium Gourami, 2 Powder Blue, 1 Paradise

Blood parrots are hybrids and are usually dyed, I would tell her you have a mutant freak that you should not have bought because you are supporting the sale of them and other hybridized and dyed fish.
    Money spent buying Hybrids and Painted Fish is money spent aiding Terrorism!

there was definately some "soul" behind that one!

seriously though, he is 100% correct. you wont notice any more "friendliness" on average or anything of the sort out of a blood parrot than any other naturally occuring cichlid. they probably just told you this as a sales pitch.

i also dont support the sale of these fish, or flowerhorns, etc. (give me a nicely colored trimac over a FH anyday ) either.

however, if someone really likes these fish and wants to pay the high prices for them it is no skin off my teeth. so while i agree with soulfish for the most part, i really dont concern myself overly if others like to purchase hybrids, long-fins, albinos, etc.
    M
    125 gallon burundi colony (8 F2's)
    58 gallon (grow out)
    2 gallon

http://www.tomstanganyikans.com/
    http://www.neptuneaquatics.com/
    http://www.ohiexchange.com/armke/

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/frontosa_corner.php

Regardless of people =opinions= on blood parrots or other hybrid fish, here's the scoop:

Blood parrots, as juviniles, are greenish-black in color, turning to red as they mature. Your fish is probably =not= a dyed specimen unless it is the unnatural colors of pink, purple, pastle blue, peachy coral orange, vivid pastle red, a deep blue, a pastel green, or anything else they have lately come up with. When the blood parrot matures, it goes through several nature color stages, the green-black tigerstripe stage, a yellow stage, an orange stage, and finally over to full red.

The rate of maturity, thus the rate it turns the natural blood red color, depends upon four things; 1) the health of the fish, 2) the size of its tank, 3) the quality of the water, 4) where the fish falls in the pecking-order of the tank.

1) If your blood parrot is eating regularlly and swimming normally, ususally it is safe to assume the fish is in good health. A fish that is fin-clamped, hiding all the time, has white specks or black specks on it, has shredded fins, or is showing other damage is not considered healthy. These can be caused by improper water quality or other fish beating the heck out of it, or parasites. A blood parrot that just does not look healthy should be medically treated in a Q-tank.

2) Your tank is =WAY TOO SMALL= to house that many cichlids, much less to house them when they are all full grown. As well, you have mixed African cichlids, with docile community fish, with South American cichlids, and it seems to be slightly over-populated. Because your community is a little confused, so probably too is your blood parrot. Blood parrots, when full grown, can be the size of soft-balls. While most aquarist will tell you that tank size and population pressure does not matter to a fish's growth rate, the truth is it most certainly does!! With that much population pressure in that small a tank, your blood parrot will not reach his full growth size, and will take longer to go through the maturity process to red. Most likely, the long lived fish will either beat the crap out of the more docile ones when it gets to feeling too cramped, or it will die from stunting and bad water quality. It is usually accpeted that one full grown pair of blood parrots would need a 55 gallon tank to themselves. Please, your fish may appeare small now as juviniles, but if you intend to cherish them for many more years to come, start planning and saving for at least 90 gallons in the future.

3) Blood parrots are sensitive to water quality. When the water is not optimal for them, many of them will display black on the tips of their fins, or black mottling on the body. This is a matte black different from the green-black stripes of youth. The best way to color up a blood parrot like this is to make sure they always have fresh water in the form of frequent small volume water changes. I would recommend 30% change once a week on your tank. You'll probably need to increase it to twice a week as your fish get larger.

4) Blood parrots that are lower down on the hierarchy of the fish pecking order take much longer to color up than fish that are more dominate than they are. I've worked in an LFS where we'd get ten juviniles in at a time. You could tell the more dominate fish by how fast they colored-up. Fish removed from the group tank and placed in their own tanks colored up much faster as their confidance in their dominace increased. Your firemouth, or your agassizii may be bullies, causing your blood parrot to want to hide and stay out of their way, thus making him want to be dull, unnoticeable colors so as not to attract their attention. This will also have an affect on his shy behavior and hesitation to greet you at meal times.

Blood parrots do have wonderful little personallities, and are IMO great fish dispite whatever their deformities are. Hell, goldfish have the same damn deformities, yet nobody gets up on a soap-box about them. Regardless, remember you've only had your blood parrot for a month, and a months time for a fish that can live around twenty years is not a whole heck of a lot in the way of getting personal with the aquarist. The best thing you could do for your blood parrot is get him his own tank, perhaps with another blood parrot buddy, and then you will see him flourish.

Soulfish = You have stated your opinion on hybrid fish quite frequently on this site. But the soapbox at this point is not helpful to people seeking advice. If you cannot be impartial about helping other people, at least don't berate them for doing things you may not necessarily agree with. How would you like it if someone called you a "mutant freak"?

~~Colesea
    The above, of course, is strictly opinion. If you don't have your own, I'll gladly give you mine.

well said for the 1696th time lol

If a pretty picture and a cute saying gets you motivated, then you've got an easy job. The kind of job that a robot will be doing soon.

first, i want to reinfore the fact that i dont care in the least what someone else keeps in their fish tank

my question is this--- do BP's have personalities that are so "above and beyond" that of other cichlids that it is worth paying the high prices for??

that is really the only thing that i have yet to hear a good explanation for and that i am still confused about....

this is not meant to be offensive at all, i am just curious about it (see first sentence)
    M
    125 gallon burundi colony (8 F2's)
    58 gallon (grow out)
    2 gallon

http://www.tomstanganyikans.com/
    http://www.neptuneaquatics.com/
    http://www.ohiexchange.com/armke/

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/frontosa_corner.php

Yes your tank is to small.

If you don't mind buying the fish then go for it. Its your money.

I have no problem with cross breeding but i do with dying fish a certain color.

But i do think Parrots are ugly.

I personally don't think they are above any cichlid.....infact they are at the bottem of my cichlid list so there is nothing in my mind that makes them better than other cichlids.
    -Matt
    Check out my YOUTUBE channel for videos of my fish and more! - http://www.youtube.com/user/Clemmatt

Teenie Weenie Fish

just out of curiousity... do blood parots have a normal color or are they all dyed? its probly been said before... sorry if this is a repeated question...
    |\/ | |< |< |

Teenie Weenie Fish

I do believe what Chilid Man said Blood Parrots are on the bottom of my list as far as Cichlids go, all my other Cichlids are quite interesting and I am going to be fabricating a 90 gallon tank here shortly. We really want to go with a Lake Malawi Cichlid tank and i'll put the Krib in there since ive read they can go with them, is that true? Personally I could care less if they are a mutant freak yet looking back I should have got a Severum instead. 30% isnt that pretty drastic, i thought 20% every two weeks or weekly 10% changes were the norm.
    29 Gal - 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Neolamprologus maruguensis (white tip Brichardi), 1 Pseudotropheus sp. "elongatus Mdoka", 1 Blood Parrot, 1 Astatotilapia aneocolor

10 Gal - 1 Platnium Gourami, 2 Powder Blue, 1 Paradise

I have 3 Parrots. It took quite a few months for their personalities to show up, but show up they did! When I lift the lid on the tank they go right to the feeding ring for food. I have one who loves to dig in the gravel. She will pick up the gravel in her mouth and spit it out. It's too funny. She just started doing this. It may take a while for their personalities to come out. Just give them time. I love mine and would not trade them for the world, despite the fact that they are hybrids....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast