Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thyra

How can I protect my baby fish from filter?

This is a discussion on How can I protect my baby fish from filter? within the Breeding forums, part of the Misc. Category category;
I don't like sponges, because they inhibit water flow, and panty hose do the same thing. I found a website ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Question How can I protect my baby fish from filter?

I don't like sponges, because they inhibit water flow, and panty hose do the same thing. I found a website that sells filter net guards. Has anyone used these before? I was wandering if they work. Here is the website for Filter Net Guards. Check it out and let me know what you think? Appreciate any input and advice.

A1best.JPG

Super Fish

Looks like 'panty hose' with larger holes. You could do the same thing with an old fishtank net. In any case, I think it would work to save your fish if that is what you want it for.

(I don't buy that it would keep snails out of the filteration system though. Depending on the species of snail, they can and do get into your filter, no matter what you do to prevent it, including a sponge.)

I'm a big fan of sponge filters driven by either an airpump or submerged powerhead in fry tanks. What type of baby fish are you trying to protect?
    Just my 2cents,
    OC

Teenie Weenie Fish

Thank you. I going to try the filter nets advertised. I'll let you know if they keep snails out of my filter or not.
    I am raising angelfish right now, so I really need some good ideas and advice. Thank you for your thoughts, and any others you may have.

Sherie

Super Fish

I believe I read in several posts that sponge filters provide a good source of good for fry.
    skjl47 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquareus8 View Post
    I don't like sponges, because they inhibit water flow, and panty hose do the same thing. I found a website that sells filter net guards. Has anyone used these before? I was wandering if they work. Here is the website for Filter Net Guards. Check it out and let me know what you think? Appreciate any input and advice.

A1best.JPG
    Hello; You have eleminated the two best methods I have ever used for protecting fry by saying that sponge filters and mesh screen are not acceptable.
    The only other option I have ever used is has been a simple bubble stone. This will not provide any filtration however and was only a short term thing.
    It would seem to me that any thing that would keep tiny fry out of a filter will by necessity reduce flow.
    Good luck anyway. In the end we each get to run our tanks any way we wish.

I raised angel fry with a simple sponge filter in a bare bottom tank. It provided ample filtration and flow for the fish. Angel fry don't like fast moving water anyway. Just sayin'....

Quote Originally Posted by Thyra View Post
    I believe I read in several posts that sponge filters provide a good source of good for fry.
    Hello; I made such a comment in the past. I have observed fry grazing on the surface of a very mature air powered sponge filter on a few occasions.
    I also put a common pleco in a tank with a mature air powered sponge filter and it fed on the sponge filter for some time until the surface was clean.
    In both cases the fry and the pleco lived well. The fry soon moved on to larger food sources and the pleco would be seen on the sponge filter from time to time after. Note-I did not have fry and the pleco in the same tank at the same time.

About | Contact | Privacy | Staff | MFT Gear | Chat | Sponsors | Forum | eBay | SiteMap
Copyright 2010 MyFishTank.Net All rights reserved.

MyFishTank.Net and the blogs, articles, comments and other features therein are for informational purposes only and provided "as is" without warranties, representations, or guarantees of any kind. Content on MyFishTank.Net should never be used as a substitute for advice from a qualified professional. MyFishTank.Net shall not be liable for the accuracy, usefulness or availability of any content, and you agree to hold MyFishTank.Net harmless from any loss, harm, injury or damage resulting from or arising out of your use of or reliance on any content. The views and opinions expressed in an article or column are the author's own and not necessarily those of MyFishTank.Net.