Pregnant Platy -- But when will she give birth?

This is a discussion on Pregnant Platy -- But when will she give birth? within the Breeding forums, part of the Misc. Category category;
This is a video of my Silver Wag Platy. She's very pregnant, and her attitude has changed recently (she's been ...

Default Pregnant Platy -- But when will she give birth?

This is a video of my Silver Wag Platy. She's very pregnant, and her attitude has changed recently (she's been laying on the bottom of my tank.) Does this mean she's in labor? If not, how do I tell when she is?

Pregnant Platy -- When will she be ready? - YouTube
    60 Gallon Community

6 Gallon SW Fluval Edge

1.8 Gallon Waterfall Globe

Please visit this page and read my post (second post, picture included).

Pregnant Platy??
    100g Native Pond, 55g Goldfish/Community, 50g RES Pond, 40gB Angelfish Community, 30g Painted Turtle, 20gL Divided Betta (5), 20gL Guppy, 15g Reef, 10g Community, 5gFBH Fry

2 Dogs, 13 Cats, 2 Turtles, 1 Bearded Dragon

An awesome dog forum! (this is the link)

After looking at the video, it looks like she's in the first stages of pregnancy. I must say though, I love your tank and your fish, especially your Swordtail.
    100g Native Pond, 55g Goldfish/Community, 50g RES Pond, 40gB Angelfish Community, 30g Painted Turtle, 20gL Divided Betta (5), 20gL Guppy, 15g Reef, 10g Community, 5gFBH Fry

Thank you for your help (and your comment about my tank!) But since we're on the subject, I have another question for you. I assumed that the Silver Wag was more ready to give birth because I can see inside of her. I have another platy (you may have seen her in the video) that is much larger. I can't see inside of her though, so I can't check for eyes. If she seems to do the back arch think that the descriptive one in the photo does, should I be expecting a birth soon?
    60 Gallon Community

6 Gallon SW Fluval Edge

No, it's just the pigment of her skin. All if my platies are lighter colored, therefore I always see through them. You'll start to see black dots in her stomach, those are the fry's eyes. Just check in her daily, she might give birth in 2 weeks. Make sure that you separate her if you want to save the fry.

I'm posting in this thread again because I have some concerns about the other platy that was previously mentioned. She's been gigantic for a couple of+ weeks now, and she even seems to have that telltale boxy look. Is there any particular reason why she hasn't dropped her fry yet? Or could she possibly just be a monster fish?
    60 Gallon Community

6 Gallon SW Fluval Edge

She might have a lot of fry. One of my Platies was pregnant for almost 3 months and she was at least 2 inches around her stomach. She was huge and gave a drop of 80+ fry. She died after that, not to scare you or anything, but that's just what happens sometimes. Do you think you can post a picture?? I'll post a picture of both of my female Platies pregnant at the same time and almost ready to drop. This was about a year ago and it's my silver wag that's dead, my orange mickey mouse is still alive, but she's never gotten pregnant again and idk why.

Super Fish

Many times separating them just causes them to stress out and they don't go into labor or they die. Depending on how many fry you are willing to cope with, usually a couple will survive if you provide some moss or a little artificial grass mat they can hide in.

I've separated her twice, but once was because my male guppies wouldn't leave her alone. I took a video because it's a lot easier than trying to get a good shot of her. She doesn't like to stay in once place. I hope that's okay.

(I played this on IE because it wouldn't load on Chrome)

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    60 Gallon Community

6 Gallon SW Fluval Edge