Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sexing baby/young guppies?

This is a discussion on Sexing baby/young guppies? within the Breeding forums, part of the Misc. Category category;
I just got 4 small guppies to replace the neons in my 10 gal. How do you tell if they ...

Little Fish

Question Sexing baby/young guppies?

I just got 4 small guppies to replace the neons in my 10 gal. How do you tell if they are male or female when they are small? The ones I have are about 3/4" long.... I have not been able to find a decent website with pictures to compare them to, so if anyone has one, please let me know.

If anyone has experience breeding them and can tell me how to sex them I would appreciate it. I can tell them difference when they are bigger.....

Thanks

-TM
    10 gallon:

Fish - 3 female Bettas, 4 male feeder guppies, 4 pygmy corys, 3 ottos, 2 algae eating shrimp and some pond snails

Plants: java ferns, anubias nana on driftwood, anubias congensis, anubias caladifolia, crypt spiralis, crypt wendtii and water lettuce

The boys have the long flowy tails and usually are brighter in color in most breeds of guppies that I've seen.
    29G - Cories, Black Skirts, Yoyo Loaches, SAE, Betta
    10G - Betta, Ottos
    3G - Betta Retirement Home
    10G - Crayfish tank in the works... no bettas allowed

well there a few ways, but only one surefire way.

One way to tell is that as they mature the males' tails will become much more colourful and vibrant than the females'. However I am sure some strains out there are different and wouldn't show up quite the same way as this, so it is sort of a case by case sexing.

However the surefire way to do it is once they really begin maturing the males will grow a gonopodium. It is the male's reproductive organ and it develops from the normal anal fin into a long and slender 'fin' that can actually move (they can point with it sideways and forwards and stuff). It usually takes around a month for this to occur so be patient. Once it develops you will know it for sure. However if none develop in the next few weeks then they are likely all females.

Hope that helps .

Little Fish

Well... These are not fancy guppies per se... I convinced one of the guys at my lfs to give me 4 feeder guppies I liked. (they have a "no choice of feeder fish" sign) They are a silverish color with patches of iridesent (sp?) reds/greens/blues/blacks. Kinda patchwork I guess. Certainly not the dull brownish guppy one thinks of with the word "feeder guppy"

Anyways, it appears as though they are all male, as I can see what looks like the long anal fins of a male. I did spend some time looking at the tanks of male and female fancy guppies to see if I could tell on adults. I also read that female anal fins are more a fan shape whereas the male anal fin is longer and more pointed. Is this correct? I just brought them home and put them in the QT until the neons leave tomorrow. It could just be that they are stressed and not letting the anal fin extend... We'll see.

If anyone has good pictures of a younger male/female pair, I would appreciate it.

Also, how old do you think they are? They are about 3/4" long....

I have no idea about guppies. I decided that fancy guppies would not work with my betta and neither would these long finned blue danios the lfs had... so we compromised with these guys...

Thanks!

-TM
    10 gallon:

Fish - 3 female Bettas, 4 male feeder guppies, 4 pygmy corys, 3 ottos, 2 algae eating shrimp and some pond snails

Plants: java ferns, anubias nana on driftwood, anubias congensis, anubias caladifolia, crypt spiralis, crypt wendtii and water lettuce

Well my guess is that that are about two to three months old at that size.

And just in case you misunderstood, the anal fin is the one right by their anus, not the big one at the very back. All fry have the same looking one before maturation- it is sort of curved and of proportionate length. Once the males mature this fin becomes very thin, longer, and becomes mobile. The females stay the same as when they were fry but grow with the body and become fan shaped, yes.

EDIT

I found a link for a picture of an adult ale's gono.- they look exactly the same when they are fry to.
    Gonopodium
    Last edited by ishar; 01-29-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Little Fish

ishar - as far as I can tell all 4 look like the picture. I also read that male feeder guppys are a bit more colored than the females who are always a dull brownish. Here is the best picture of a guppy similar to mine. I will try and take pics of mine later. http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/Ash3333/guppy.jpg

The coloring is similar....

At what age to male guppies mature? When I can say for sure that they are male or female...

Thanks for all your help. Never had guppies before, but I think I like these little guys...

-TM
    10 gallon:

I have found my fancy guppies to mature at roughly a month or so of age. However I believe I have read that feeder guppies mature faster than fancy ones. If they look like the picture I posted then they are definitely males. If you had a female and a male beside each other you would have no doubts .

When my first fry matured it was like one day they all looked the same, then BAM- I wake up and look in the tank the next morning and one of them had a gonopodium and the other had a fin. These things develop very rapidly once the male matures, and there is not much mistaking it.

Congrats on your four males

Little Fish

Excellent! I have no desire to have fry swimming all over the place. Although I am sure my female betta would love the snacks.

Being feeders, should I leave them in the QT for awhile? I looked over the rest of the tank at the lfs and none appeared sick. But that doesn't always mean everything's okay...

Also, how big do they have to be to not get sucked up in the filter? I have a AquaClear 30 and I would hate to lose them in the intake tube. Should I put something over it? Part of a nylon stocking perhaps?

Thanks!

-TM
    10 gallon:

Well I have fry in all sizes from newborn to near adult, and I lose so few to the filter I don't even worry about it. I used to but it was such a pain to cover it all the time and it reduced the flow so much. If yours are as big as you say there is no way they'd fit through the grate of the intake tube opening and get sucked up. That and the fact that they are now strong enough swimmers to get away from the suction they will be just fine.

Little Fish

If you don't worry about it, then I won't either. =)

Thanks for all your help ishar

-TM
    10 gallon:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast