how much salt equals brackish water?

This is a discussion on how much salt equals brackish water? within the Brackish Discussion forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
how much salt do you put in (amount if tbl . tsp. ) to make brackish water....

Default how much salt equals brackish water?

how much salt do you put in (amount if tbl . tsp. ) to make brackish water.
    75g.shovelnose catfish, ,arrowana,red bellie pacu. 2 moray eels,stingray.asian barracuda,slant nose gar,needlenose gar,,brown knife,black ghost knife,elephant nose,bala shark, 404 fluval , 29g 3 gouramis blue, angelic cat, pleco,red rainbow
    10g red eared slider turtle, 15g banded knifefish ,10g gecko, 5.5g rosey minows,

check out this website - it's really good.
    Is this for a figure 8 puffer tank? I keep my salinity at 1.008.
    http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html
    Kelly

That is a great link Kelly!
    Just me and the critters! 46g bowfront FW tank, cat (Noel), dog (Scotch), dog (Brandy), and horse (Freckles).

To my knowledge there is not set point of what is brackish water. It seems that it is commonly accepted that brackish is inbetween a full fresh setup, and a full marine setup. To be sure, you need to get a hydrometer to read the salinity of the water. Adding Aquarium Salt does not make a tank brackish. Brackish conditions are only created useing marine salt.

Well, I'm not going to repeat the whole article. Its a good read and should really help you on your way.
    I am Species 5618: Coffee Based life form

thanks about to read now
    75g.shovelnose catfish, ,arrowana,red bellie pacu. 2 moray eels,stingray.asian barracuda,slant nose gar,needlenose gar,,brown knife,black ghost knife,elephant nose,bala shark, 404 fluval , 29g 3 gouramis blue, angelic cat, pleco,red rainbow
    10g red eared slider turtle, 15g banded knifefish ,10g gecko, 5.5g rosey minows,

i have a scat , puffer , moray eel , and freshies too but i add salt to the water, heard its better for fish and keeps disease away

A common number often thrown out is 1.008. However, most swing hydrometers don't start until 1.010 or so (at least on the graduated scale). You kinda have to eyeball the needle... I keep my fiddler crab tank at about 1.004-8.

Keeping salt in a freshwater tank does your fish no good. If they are freshwater fish, they should be in freshwater. Saltwater fish in saltwater. Brackish fish in brackish water.

Is the stocking list in your signature all in one tank? If so, that's not going to be a terribly happy tank long term.

Quote Originally Posted by JWright

Is the stocking list in your signature all in one tank? If so, that's not going to be a terribly happy tank long term.
    If they don't die from different salinity requirements, it will be an expensive aquatic ultimate fighting championship
    - Joe

55 gal: 4 Clown Loaches - Orange-finned Loach -Yellow-finned Shark - Firemouth - 1 lazy Pleco

20H: Firemouth - Oto - Clown Pleco (L104) - Wisteria - Swords - Dwarf Hairgrass - Sunset Hygro