How to feed a starving bottom feeder

This is a discussion on How to feed a starving bottom feeder within the BottomFeeder Discussion forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
I have 2 clown loaches, a kuhli loach, albino cory doras catfish, and a rainbow shark. Whenever I try to ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Exclamation How to feed a starving bottom feeder

I have 2 clown loaches, a kuhli loach, albino cory doras catfish, and a rainbow shark. Whenever I try to feed my fish all of the top swimmers and mid swimmers eat the food before it gets to my bottem feeders. My larger clown loach lays on its side, has sunken eyes and sunken body, and breaths rapidly. What can I do to keep him from dying when he can't find the strength to swim to the food? I really need answers quick because my loach is about to die.

Respond soon,
    Craig

Super Fish

I have heard of people using a turkey baster. Also there are algae wafers available and there are also granules that sink. I have heard that clown loaches do lay around on their side by choice. I have no recent experience with that though, seems like my kids had one that did that.

Medium Fish freash_water_monster's Avatar

My clown loach does breed rapidly and if u want a good food watch this video all those fish u said will eat it . Read the description how to make it Potato Feeding Fish - YouTube

40 gallon
    1 adult angelfish , big pleco , clown loach ,1 Albino cory cat , 1 peppered cory cat , 2emerald green catfish, 1 bronze cory cat

29 gallon planted

Fish : 8 Neon Tetras, Clown pleco, 2 three lined corys , 2 German Blue rams.
    Plants :crypts, corkscrew val, moneywort, amazon sword, red ludwigia, java fern.

Ive had
    Guppies
    Green spotted puffer
    African ghost knife
    Tiger barbs
    Molly's

At night. Turn off the lights so the tank is dark, then drop the food (sinking type) in a corner so it will sink straight down. This way most of the food will make it to the bottom. This is how I have to feed my cichlid tanks other wise my pleco's do not get to much food. You can do this in the morning as well before you fire up the lights.
    150G. Salt water Reef mix tank
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey. Emperor 400, HOT Magnum 350.
    75G. Now converted to Saltwater as of 01/14. Mollies, Chromis, and two Scooter Blenny so far.
    40G. Fish/Reef. Running Algae Turf Scrubbers on ALL my Salt Water tanks, nutrients are at zero to zero-ish on the SW tanks!!
    10G. Pod production tank.

6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

I feed my bottom feeders at night and like KcMopar I drop in a pellet (of sinking food) in the corner of the tank after I turn the lights off.
    I usually give it a few minutes after I turn off the lights before I drop the pellet, because my other fish are active whenever I approach the tank.
    "We're here to help those that ask for help keep healthy, happy fish" -OC

**Fishless Cycle**
    **Emergency Cycling**

16 gallon: Planted Community Tank

Quote Originally Posted by achase View Post
    I feed my bottom feeders at night and like KcMopar I drop in a pellet (of sinking food) in the corner of the tank after I turn the lights off.
    I usually give it a few minutes after I turn off the lights before I drop the pellet, because my other fish are active whenever I approach the tank.
    LOL, mine do the same, so I hold the can of food at the opposite side of the tank as I reach across to the back left corner where I have a hole cut. At the same time the pleco is heading that way because he knows what is going on. I have had him a few years, he even lets me pet him.
    150G. Salt water Reef mix tank
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey. Emperor 400, HOT Magnum 350.
    75G. Now converted to Saltwater as of 01/14. Mollies, Chromis, and two Scooter Blenny so far.
    40G. Fish/Reef. Running Algae Turf Scrubbers on ALL my Salt Water tanks, nutrients are at zero to zero-ish on the SW tanks!!
    10G. Pod production tank.

6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.