Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rubber Lip Pleco

This is a discussion on Rubber Lip Pleco within the BottomFeeder Discussion forums, part of the Freshwater Fish Breeds category;
Starting to get some brown algae in my tank and was trying to get some info on a Rubber Lip ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default Rubber Lip Pleco

Starting to get some brown algae in my tank and was trying to get some info on a Rubber Lip Pleco. How big do they get and are they as effective at riding a tank of algae as I have heard? Anyone have one? Thanks.
    38 Gallon Tank

1 dwarf flame gourami
    1 dwarf blue neon gourami
    2 long fin black skirt tetras
    2 skunk corys
    1 rubber lip pleco
    10 neon tetras

Amazon Sword / Java Fern / Micro Sword / Hornwort

We have a rubber lip and he is really cool looking, Not sure if he cleans any better though. We've had him for about 5 months and he's still small. He's definately cooler looking than a normal pleco. Brown algae is usaully built up when you leave the light on for too long. Try turning the light on the tank on a little later in the day and a little earlier at night. Worked for us.
    Kim and Rob
    90G-Reef tank,100lbs LR,29G DIY sump, Etc, Etc, Etc......
    55g-Assorted Mbunu,2 syno cats,1 striped raph cat

I'm also wondering what kind of algae they eat. There max size is 5".
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Leatham 1:15-It's not whether you win or lose, it's how bad you beat the guy in second place.

Teenie Weenie Fish

Does the rubber lip pleco have another common name? I went to planetcatfish.com and couldn't find any reference to it. There is, however, a rubber nose pleco. Is that what I'm thinking of???
    38 Gallon Tank

1 dwarf flame gourami
    2 skunk corys
    1 rubber lip pleco
    10 neon tetras

Teenie Weenie Fish

I'm pretty sure the rubber lip & rubber nose pleco are one & the same. They're so cute!

Teenie Weenie Fish

Went ahead and picked one up today (a rubber lip). Hopefully he'll step up to the plate and get the job done. I'd hate to have to clean that algae myself!! We'll see what happens. I have thought about not having the light on as much during the day, but I'm concerned about my plants since I only have 20 watts of light.
    38 Gallon Tank

1 dwarf flame gourami
    2 skunk corys
    1 rubber lip pleco
    10 neon tetras

Teenie Weenie Fish

I have a rubber lipped pleco. I heard that they stay small at the largest 6-8".

My rubber lipped is bigger than my hifin pleco, and was bullying around my whole 30 gallon community tank. He would suck on my african dwarf frogs and eat their food. He would chase away the tetras and danios, even the black molly. Yesterday my wife came home to the rubber lip eating the remains of the hifin pleco.

So, I moved him over to my 55 gallon with some silver dollars and tiger barbs. He isnt so feisty anymore.

Medium Fish

I have heard them referred to as bulldog plecs too. I had a rubber lip, he was the cutest little pleco, unfortunately he got too friendly with a powerhead. Mine never touched the brown algae though, he was much of an algae cleaner at all, but he was still just a baby. Good luck with your new addition!
    20g long - 2 Male Bettas
    30g long - 10 Tiger Barbs
    75g - 2 Tiger Oscars

I'm going to pick one up today because I'm having a big algae problem. These guys are sooo freaking cute. I checked the LFS today and they a bunch and they look really good and are ich free.
    20g Long: (Planted heavily!)

1 Yellow Gourami (Fred)
    10 Neon Tetra's
    2 Snails
    1 RL Pleco

I have a rubber lip pleco, cute fish with a gorgeous spotted back.

Very shy though, he spends a lot of the time hiding behind the bogwood or other decorations in there. He only really comes out if the lights are on when the room is very quiet.

Would having more of them help them be less shy does anyone think, would love to see a bit more of him.
    35G - 2 x firemouth cichlids
    Red tail black shark
    5 x columbian red-fin tetra
    Rubbernose Pleco
    Red Honey Gourami

10G Hex Tank - 5 x-ray tetra, pitbull plec,
    planted - Java Fern and something leafy....

16G - Fluval 2+ - sand substrate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast