Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Marimo/Moss ball

This is a discussion on Marimo/Moss ball within the Aquatic Plants forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
I have recently started dosing my tank with seachum flourish, all my plants love it and in the 3 weeks ...

Little Fish

Default Marimo/Moss ball

I have recently started dosing my tank with seachum flourish, all my plants love it and in the 3 weeks I've been using it they have all gone ape and grown an inch or more, I'm loving it aswell as my tank now looks great however my moss ball seems to have started to die it has gone from a nice dark green to a pale green almost white around the edges and seems to have started to fall apart it has a hole in one side which has started to open up to the point where it is almost flat, I have read that they don't like much more then 77*F and my tank heater is around 79*F and isn't an adjustable one I don't think a 2 degree jump would make a huge differance, do you guys think the flourish is burning it? too much fertilizer?
    10gal.- Planted Anubias Lanceolota, Water Wistera, 3 Angel's

20gal.- Planted Anubias Lanceolota, Water Wisteria. 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Cobalt blue Lobster, 4 White Cloud minnows, 1 Bristle Nose Pleco, 1 Male Phantom Tetra.

Super Fish

Marimo is a type of thread algae, not a moss, and from what I've learned from those that have it, it likes high light and CO2 injection. I can't see why Flourish would hurt it. Is it being shaded too much by other plants that are growing faster now? Marimo grows very very slowly,

Little Fish

it gets plenty of light I have a full sun light bulb and a high blue/red spectrum bulb. I have thought of co2 but can't afford the setup and don't want to deal with the mess of the yeast based home kit. is there another was to get co2 in the tank by adding like some pellet or something?

20gal.- Planted Anubias Lanceolota, Water Wisteria. 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Cobalt blue Lobster, 4 White Cloud minnows, 1 Bristle Nose Pleco, 1 Male Phantom Tetra.

Super Fish

Quote Originally Posted by stoddern View Post
    it gets plenty of light I have a full sun light bulb and a high blue/red spectrum bulb.
    How many watts of light do you have over this tank? What sized tank? What else are you growing besides the Marimo?

Quote Originally Posted by stoddern View Post
    I have thought of co2 but can't afford the setup and don't want to deal with the mess of the yeast based home kit. is there another was to get co2 in the tank by adding like some pellet or something?
    Excel is a liquid source of carbon that some plants can use in place of CO2.

Little Fish

I'm running a 20gal. with Anubias lanceolota and Water Wisteria. unfortanatlly my hood is only a single bulb 20w that I've been swapping the 2 bulbs back and forth in giving each a week at a time, I do a 30% water change atleast once a week and I declorinate the water I put back in, I test ammonia, nitrates and nitrites every 2-3 days and ph once a week they are all good, tank stays atleast 79* with heater ambiant air temp may raise it higher, it does not get direct sunlight and is in a cubby space that is recessed into a wall under some stairs so the space behind and under the tank stays atleast 10* cooler then the rest of the house. the anubias and the wisteria love all that is going on they each grow about a half ince a week.

Moss/Algae Balls like to be rolled around from time to time. Take it out and roll it around, kinda like what you would do with clay to form a ball. It's ok to give it a good rinse every now and again to to keep them clean.
    They tend to sit there and collect debris...

-O

Super Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Moss/Algae Balls like to be rolled around from time to time. Take it out and roll it around, kinda like what you would do with clay to form a ball. It's ok to give it a good rinse every now and again to to keep them clean.
    They tend to sit there and collect debris...

-O

They certainly do like to collect debris! A friend of mine has three of these and said to me that they require the same rinsing/squeezing that her sponge filters do!

stoddern -- not sure about the amount of light they are getting. Those that I know that are keeping them are using more light. The friend that has the 20gallon long tank has 55watts over it, and it seems to do fine in that. The other folks I know have them in larger tanks with more light and some 'perched' on top of driftwood and large rocks, so getting more direct light than sitting on the bottom of the tank. All say they rinse them out in the water they are removing during water changes, then kinda 'roll em' around to keep the round and put them back in.

Teenie Weenie Fish

i'm having the exact same problem. my marimo has like some sort of green outer layer and it looks disgusting. if you need a picture i would be happy to take one, but how do i get it back to normal?

more info: i accidentally left it alone for like a month cause i was out of town, when i came back, there was some white and a weird very green layer around it. its been next to my window, but theres not much sunlight that gets through, but it might have gotten a bit hot because its summer. the lid of the container was wide open.

is there someway to get it back to its original state? i tried cleaning and scrubbing, but that didnt work. (ps i scrubbed while rinsing it under water.)

Little Fish

for the last week and a half I have had my moss ball sitting on a piece of drift wood that is stood on end to get the ball closer to the light, that seems to be working, I did a water change today and while rinsing the ball out it was firmer when squeezed and is looking abit greener deep down, the outer layer is still a white/pale green and pieces are coming off but my fish are eating these pieces, so my guess is that a good portion of the outer part has died and that the inner part is making a slow recovery

wow that is all weird. my girlfriends sister and her boyfriend started out with a moss ball at the beginning of this year. since then it has almost covered half of a 29g tank (which i got a huge handful because its not a ball anymore but spread kinda like algae does and has attached itself to many pieces) and also they have another 30g, only half full of water so about 15g, light never gets turned on and i dont think any fertilizer or anything at all and started with a really small piece of moss and now all of the water part is pretty much filled with the moss so lighting i dont know is a complete issue. i may be wrong and he may just have some unique water conditions that that moss can thrive in i dont know. just seems weird that it is said that they need high lighting.

i will say this though the ball that he had kinda unraveled and became like an algae carpet so there is NO ball
    RIP 16g & 55g, Welcome 30g
    16g Planted Bowfront:Neocaridina Heteropoda, Paracheirodon Innesi, Asolene Spixi, & Otocinclus
    Vallisneria, Rotala Rotundifolia, Aponthegen, Limnophila Sessiliflora, Sagittaria Subulata, Elodea, Echinodorus Amazonicus, Taxiphyllum Barbieri, & Hygrophila Polysperma Var 'Sunset'

55g Community Tank just chillin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast