Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jungle val not looking so well

This is a discussion on Jungle val not looking so well within the Aquatic Plants forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
Hey guys, I added some jungle val to my tank last weekend and it's not looking so good. This is ...

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default Jungle val not looking so well

Hey guys, I added some jungle val to my tank last weekend and it's not looking so good. This is my first planted tank so i wanted to ask you guys. The leafs are starting to turn clear and fall off, does anyone know what it could be?
    The tanks a 75 gallon
    Corallife actinic and corallife 20k bulbs
    florish weekly, and florish excel every other weeked
    The tank also has java fern an anubias and they seem to be doing fine

you dont need actinic lights for a freshwater tank, you should replace them

how much wattage are you getting total?

is the light distributed evenly throughout the tank?
    85g-1f krib,2 female bettas,3 gourami, angel 6 dwarf frogs,6 ghost catfish, badis badis, badis assamensis, sparkling qourami
    65g-2 kribs+30 2month old fry, 2 plecos,1 platy
    33g long-peacock gudgeons, goo obo gudgeons, badis buxar, whisker shrimp
    20long whisker, neocardina, green cardina, ghost shrimp
    3.3g badis assamensis fry and peacock gudgeon fry!

Teenie Weenie Fish

I know i don't need it, but i like the look it gives the tank. 80 watts total. Yes its even though out the tank.

Actinic lights don't give light that's usable for plants, so I wouldn't even count that in your WPG. A 20K bulb isn't ideal, either, but probably gives some usable light for plants. Bulbs in the 6000K to 10,000K range are generally best for plants.

Jungle vals do need medium to high light to do well, and they can be a little tricky at first, so the melting may stop. Make sure you have a rich substrate, and supplement with root tabs.
    Lotus and Ecotank's tanks

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Teenie Weenie Fish

Any specific root tabs i should be using? im heading out to my lfs tomorrow

I usually use the Flourish ones. They seem to work really well.
    Lotus and Ecotank's tanks

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Medium Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Grahams View Post
    I added some jungle val to my tank last weekend and it's not looking so good. This is my first planted tank so i wanted to ask you guys. The leafs are starting to turn clear and fall off, does anyone know what it could be?
    I'm having a similar problem. My jungle vals have been in my cycling 29G for over 2 weeks. They sit below a 65-watt bulb (not sure of the spectrum -- I really should find out, but I'm sure that it's not a saltwater bulb).

I left town for a long weekend on Friday. When I got home last night, I noticed some of the leaves were clear, some were yellow and parts were falling off (not every strand looks bad).

The jungle vals are rooted in ~40 lbs of Eco-Complete. I trimmed the roots when I planted. Algae is just starting to rear it's ugly head, which I expect at this point in the cycle. I am not pumping any CO2 into the tank. The water is at 79 degrees F.

Are my jungle vals just acclimating to the tank? Should I look at adding fert tabs? They looked really good when I added them. I'd hate to think that I can't grow some nice jungle val to serve as a nice backdrop to this tank.

Medium Fish

Anybody? Please?

Teenie Weenie Fish

!!!!. No one even mention that Excel melts and kill vals?.

Excel kill most soft plants unless they have developed a resistance.

I was just going to say... Vals and Excell don't mix.
    29G - Cories, Black Skirts, Yoyo Loaches, SAE, Betta
    10G - Betta, Ottos
    3G - Betta Retirement Home
    10G - Crayfish tank in the works... no bettas allowed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast