Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

POTHOS, Philodendron, and devils ivy

This is a discussion on POTHOS, Philodendron, and devils ivy within the Aquatic Plants forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
all those names are for the same plants. it is a house plant. is it true that you can keep ...

Question POTHOS, Philodendron, and devils ivy

all those names are for the same plants. it is a house plant. is it true that you can keep it in an aquarium completly under water. if so can they be kept in an aquarium with a ph of 7.8. in there i have swordtails, mollies, guppies, and plecos and a snail. will the bother the plant. please anwser all parts of my question. thank you

Teenie Weenie Fish Karkadannspiral's Avatar

If these are what you mean
    http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/housepl...scindapus.html
    Then, for almoast all of the years I was growing up there was usually a few pieceses in atleast one, if not all tanks. I used a few branches of it when I tried to breed bettas as well, good support for bubble nests but a pain when the female and later male had to be netted. But then any plant would be in that situation I would imagine.
    I do not know if that ph would affect it, I dont know if the ph was ever even tested in any of the tanks.
    If those fish/the snail eat plants then they might eat that plant as well. The leaves arent paper thin though, so the fishies might prey on other plants. If you worry, maybe drop a slice of yellow squash in the tank. Im not sure about zucchini, it seems to go soft and gooey faster than yellow does when left in a baggie in the refrigerater.
    If you do get one, I would suggest you keep the main plant somewhere outside the tank, and break off all/however much you want of the branches that reach over the side of the bucket it is in. You can either plant it or leave it free-floating. It grows roots quickly, but gets algae on the leaves quickly as well, but that is easily wiped off.
    Good luck.

thanx Karkadannspiral. y do i have to leave it out in a pot. why cant i just plant the whole plant in the tank?

Teenie Weenie Fish Karkadannspiral's Avatar

You probably could if you made sure to wash off all of the soil and any possable fertilizers. But if something goes wrong in your tank, or it begins to look too messy to you, the plant is always there growing replacements outside.

I have seen philodendrons grown out the backside of an aquaclear filter, or in sumps, or just out of tanks, with the roots actually going into the aquarium, gives the fish something to hide in.

Pothos. that is the commander's dogs name on Enterprise. I was trying to figure out where I've heard that before.

good. now i know that i can keep the plant in the tank. thanks a lot

thats porthos He was a muskateer in Dumas' Three Muskateers after which, I assume, the dog got its name

Kevin
    "Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. "
    - Thomas Jefferson

"In criticizing, the teacher is hoping to teach. That's all."
    - Bankei

A Website Dedicated To My 90g Reef!

Hmmm, never thought of putting Pothos in my tank, thanks for the idea.
    I'm always trimming these plants around the house and have some little vases filled with pieces I had trimmed, I cut off a stem and poked it into my gravel hope it takes, I bet it will.

Just hope it doesn't look strange or out of proportion, the leaves are kind of large. I have seen these plants in greenhouses with leaves the size of basketballs. They're usually about 2-1/2" with normal household humidity.
    29gal. with livebearers(Guppies, Platies, Swordtails) Zebra Danios, Long finned Danios, 1-Glo-Lite, 1-Diamond Tetra, Siamese Algae eater, common Pleco, dwarf african frog (who stays hidden, so rarely seen) with live & artificial plants, rock and wood, HOB filter with bio-wheel
    ====
    55gal. planted:9 Neons, 3 Glo-Lite Tetras, 6 Black Neons, 4 Rummy Nose Tetras, 7 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Lemon Tetras, 3 Congo Tetras(2-male 1-female), 2 bosemani Rainbows, 2 Australian Rainbows, 1 Blue Gourami, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches, 3 Clown Loach, 2 Siamese Algae Eaters, 2 Julii Cories, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Marbled Sailfin Pleco, 2 Ottocinclus (Ottos have not been seen in a long time)
    Fluval 204, Powerhead 301
    2x40w flourescent lights & a T-5 Helios)
    Onyx sand, Flourite and gravel w/laterite substrate

Teenie Weenie Fish

I had some pothos cuttings in my tank and several of the leaves got brown spots on them and I guess kind of rotted away, although the plants were putting out new roots. I've since removed the plants. I also have a high ammonia problem right now, so that may have affected the plants. Once I get the water right again, I'll try another cutting. They did look nice and they were the only plants that the dojo didn't constantly 're-arrange' for me.

Teenie Weenie Fish

Default "maybe drop a slice of yellow squash in the tank", can you explain the reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Karkadannspiral View Post
    If these are what you mean
    http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/housepl...scindapus.html
    Then, for almoast all of the years I was growing up there was usually a few pieceses in atleast one, if not all tanks. I used a few branches of it when I tried to breed bettas as well, good support for bubble nests but a pain when the female and later male had to be netted. But then any plant would be in that situation I would imagine.
    I do not know if that ph would affect it, I dont know if the ph was ever even tested in any of the tanks.
    If those fish/the snail eat plants then they might eat that plant as well. The leaves arent paper thin though, so the fishies might prey on other plants. If you worry, maybe drop a slice of yellow squash in the tank. Im not sure about zucchini, it seems to go soft and gooey faster than yellow does when left in a baggie in the refrigerater.
    If you do get one, I would suggest you keep the main plant somewhere outside the tank, and break off all/however much you want of the branches that reach over the side of the bucket it is in. You can either plant it or leave it free-floating. It grows roots quickly, but gets algae on the leaves quickly as well, but that is easily wiped off.
    Good luck.
    Can you explain the reason for putting yellow squash or zucchini in the fish tank? I want to use this plant in my fish tank with my Betta fish. I want it to work but I don't think squash or zucchini will work. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast