Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where to find duckweed?

This is a discussion on Where to find duckweed? within the Aquatic Plants forums, part of the FreshWater Topics category;
I live in the San Diego/Poway area, anyone know whewre i could find some duckweed? or maybe i could buy ...

Default Where to find duckweed?

I live in the San Diego/Poway area, anyone know whewre i could find some duckweed? or maybe i could buy it cheep somewhere? Thanks
    Current - 45 Gallon
    :: 3 otos :: 1 Chinese Algae eater :: 16 neon tetras :: 1M & 3F Fancy Guppies :: 5 Ghost Shrimp :: 2x32WATT T8 6500K :: DIY CO2 :: Substrate From SandDunes ::
    Wisteria :: 4 Melon Sword :: Microsword

3 10 Gallon Tanks
    Empty

2004 - 10 Gallon
    ::9guppy fry(4 weeks old)::5Ghost shrimp, 1 amano::2 SAE::3 otos::4 neon tetras:: 2 Redwag Platies
    :: DIY CO2::My own Substrate::
    ::anacharis::Wisteria::Ovalis::Lilaeopsis brasiliensis(Microsword)::Limnophila indica(ambulia)::

Close your eyes, and turn around three times while clicking your heels....(at least thats the way it seems to get into my tank. One day nothing, next day the surface is covered in the stuff)

Sorry, I would say you would be able to get this stuff dirt cheap online. Have you tried www.aquariumplant.com ? I just checked there, and its not as cheap as I thought only because they sell it in 2lbs package. (What in the world would ANYONE need with 2lbs of duckweed)

For localy, check around at some of the outdoor pond places. I even see it at Lowes down here.
    I am Species 5618: Coffee Based life form

First and cheapest way is to raid any local ponds. And is duckweed those little tiny floating plants with small little roots? Ive got a few developing in one tank but it doesnt seem to be too intrusive.

Andrew

I tried clicking my heels....but i lost my ruby red slippers

yea not for my tank, for an experiment i shall go pond hunting this afternoon
    Current - 45 Gallon
    :: 3 otos :: 1 Chinese Algae eater :: 16 neon tetras :: 1M & 3F Fancy Guppies :: 5 Ghost Shrimp :: 2x32WATT T8 6500K :: DIY CO2 :: Substrate From SandDunes ::

3 10 Gallon Tanks
    Empty

2004 - 10 Gallon
    ::9guppy fry(4 weeks old)::5Ghost shrimp, 1 amano::2 SAE::3 otos::4 neon tetras:: 2 Redwag Platies
    ::anacharis::Wisteria::Ovalis::Lilaeopsis brasiliensis(Microsword)::Limnophila indica(ambulia)::

It helps if you click your heels while you are buying a different plant at Petco or PetSmart. I got all of my duckweed from there without even asking for any. It just came in with a plant; one little leaf of it, and now I have as much as I want to not throw away. My glass catfish hang out under a small patch of it to get some shade from the 90watt lighting above them. I could always send you some of mine if you want some. I throw handfuls out weekly without any remorse.
    Love, Peace, & Soul,...
    Delta
    ________I am the Chosen One_I bring balance to the forum
    Hillstream Loach Planted River Tank ~4.5wpg ODNO DIY CO2
    ________"A Proud Member of the Anti-Ballistic Comment Treaty"
    PS: my school web account got closed down after graduation, so none of my pictures in old threads are accessible until I move them all elsewhere, sorry.

For future reference -- If you're in the San Diego area, I highly recommend the San Diego Tropical Fish Club auctions (April and November). There are a lot of great plants and fish really cheap, as well as tanks, equipment, etc. It's well worth the trip. One of the members usually posts about it on MFT with directions, date, time, etc.
    Lotus and Ecotank's tanks

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

april...i'd love to check it out.

Drake, haha thanks for the offer, but i wont make you send it, until i go on a hunt and absolutely CANNOT find it.....i dont wanna owe you tooo much hahah i'm actually going to go hunt right now. I shall return later.
    Current - 45 Gallon

3 10 Gallon Tanks
    Empty

2004 - 10 Gallon

I just had to drop in and take a look and who might be having trouble getting duckweed! Just a couple of the tiny plants and you will have more than you ever want! And selling it in two pound packages!
    Fred ---50, 40Brdr, & 20G Long, Planted. 10G-ELB & Shrimp; 2 - Eclipse 12's exotic guppies; 2- 2.5G Betta/Cory Tanks. 3.3 "nano" freshwater tank. 5G Hospital Tank
    "I am 2 with the Universe" -- Woody Allen

you may have to wait until late summer for local duckweed. i've had duckweed in my tank before and it is plentiful between may-october in ponds and lakes.
    cheers,
    jan
    -------------------------------------------------
    20LG moderatly planted: empty

RIP bluegill sunfish 2004-2009

RIP pumpkinseed sunfish 2004-2007

well believe it or not, i failed to find it. I even looked for it at a pond that has been around the longest. oh well, it was just for a 2L bottle ecosystem experient, trying to create a self sustaining mini ecosystem.
    Current - 45 Gallon

3 10 Gallon Tanks
    Empty

2004 - 10 Gallon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast